Older News (over 3 months)
- October: Przemek Makuch starts his Ph.D studies in the Institute. His supervisor if Tomek Petelski.
- June: Kuba Kowalczuk joins the lab, as a fresh graduate of Gdańsk Univessity Oceanography, in time to take part in the summer Arctic cruise.
- Spring: Our two technicans, Mirek Irczuk and Longin Stojek, retire in respectively March and June.
- October 15-25: Violetta Drozdowska visited Anhui Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics in Hefei, China for the second time. The visit concentrated on natural water fluorescence studies. Violetta had a talk "Remote measurements of oil pollution on the water surface."
Violetta and Zhenyi Chen, a Chinese colleague, rafting in Huangshan mountains
- October 7-15: Tymon and Tomek travel to Tenerife to take part in an aerosol optical thickness (AOT) instrumentation calibration.
Tymon and Tomek calibrating the Microops AOT meters on Tenerife mountain tops.
- September 29-30: Tymon Zieliński visits LDI in Tallinn, Estonia, to plan joint grant application for oceanographic instrument development.
- September 24-25: Jacek Piskozub took part in Damocles project WP1/WP2 meeting in Helsinki, Finland, presenting two talks:
- "Depth weighting function in remote sensing ground truth and modeling studies"
- "Heat and aerosol fluxes measured in summer r/v Oceania Arctic cruises"
- September 15-26: Tomasz Petelski is the chief scientist of r/v Oceania effort in an international aerosol experiment off Preila, Lithuania.
- August 24-29: Tomek Petelski and Tymon Zielinski took part in European Aerosol Conference 2008 in Thessaloniki, Greece presenting two talks:
- T. Zielinski, J. Piskozub, T. Petelski, A. Ponczkowska, S. Malinowski, T. Stacewicz, K. Markowicz, A. K. Jagodnicka, M. Posyniak, A. Kardas, I. Stachlewska, M. Gausa, S. Blindheim, V. Ulevicius "Remote sensing studies of aerosol transport to different parts of Europe"
- T. Zielinski, T. Petelski, J. Piskozub, J. Kowalczyk, A. Smirnov, B. Holben "Studies of aerosol optical properties over the European Arctic seas".
Tymon and (inset) Tomek at EAC 2008
- July: In summer we visited Mirek Irczuk, our laser engineer who retired in April.
The visit at Mirek's summer house
- June 25-30: Tymon Zielinski visited ISAC/CNR in Bologna, Italy to discuss future aerosol campaigns in the Arctic.
- June 24 - July 8: Jacek Piskozub visited Strathclyde University to finish an ac-9 measurement correction paper with David McKee. He also gave a talk titled "Air sea interaction in the global scale and the strange case of Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation".
Taking inspiation from Isle of Arran standing stones
- June 11-12: Tymon Zieliński and Tomasz Petelski travel to Institute of Physics, Vilnius, Lithuania to wrap up the preparations for an Autumn experiment in Prelia.
- June 7: Our ship, r/v Oceania, left Gdańsk for another two month summer campaign in the Arctic. Our lab is represented by Longin Stojek and two students: Agnieszka Ponczkowska (our graduate student) and Jakub Kowalczyk (undergraduate student from Gdańsk University).
Air-sea interaction measurements during the AREX 2008 summer Arctic cruise. Most work done by the students of IOPAS and Gdańsk University (UG): on the ladder Agnieszka Ponczkowska (IOPAS grad school, air-sea interaction), in center Emilia Trudnowska (Gdańsk University oceanography, benthos
), on the right Jakub Kowalczuk (UG oceanography, air-sea interaction). Photo by: Rafał Boehnke (UG oceanography, plankton)
- May 30: During the first Sopot Day of Science, a science populatization fest, two of us (Jacek and Tomek) had talks on respectively the need to study aerosol and Aurora Borealis.
- May 19-23: Tymon Zieliński and Tomasz Petelski took part in a e-ARI Conference (ALOMAR User Meeting) in Nessebar, Bulgaria. They co-authored two presentations:
- T. Zielinski, J. Piskozub, T. Petelski, V. Drozdowska, A. Ponczkowska, J. Kowalczyk "Atmospheric studies on board of r/v Oceania"
- E. Kardas, K. M. Markowicz, S. P. Malinowski, A. K. Jagodnicka, M. Posyniak, T. Stacewicz, W. Kumala, I. Stachlewska, T. Zieliński, J. Piskozub, T. Petelski, M. Gausa, S. Blindheim "MACRON -- Maritime Aerosol, Clouds and Radiation Observation in Norway".
- April 13-18: Jacek Piskozub took part in European Geosciences Union, General Assembly 2008 conference in Vienna, Austria and the WP 1, 2 & 3 workgroups of COST-735 action. Jacek was an author or co-author of two talk presented at tha conference:
The laboratory members were also co-authors of two posters:
- S.P. Malinowski, T. Stacewicz, T. Zieliński, T. Petelski, A.K. Jagodnicka, K.M. Markowicz, M.Posyniak, M. Gausa, S. Blindheim, A.E. Kardas, W. Kumala, I. Stachlewska, J. Piskozub "MACRON: Maritime Aerosol, Clouds and Radiation Observation in Norway"
- A.E. Kardas, K.M. Markowicz, S.P. Malinowski, T. Stacewicz, A.K. Jagodnicka, M.Posyniak, W. Kumala, I. Stachlewska, T. Zieliński, J. Piskozub, T.Petelski, M. Gausa, S. Blindheim "Aerosol from mid-latitudes influencing arctic atmosphere; a case study".
- March 31: Jacek Piskozub took part in the climate part ("observation techniques and instruments for air/sea fluxes, carbon measurements") of OceanSensors08 workshop in Warnemünde, Germany organized by Leibnitz Institute for Baltic Sea Research.
- March 18: Tymon Zieliński defended his habilitation thesis before the Scientific Council of the Institute, becoming the third "dr hab." member of the team. He gave a talk (one of three proposed) "Are there any limits to knowledge?".
Dr hab. Tymon, dr hab. Jacek and dr hab. Tomek
- March 14: Jacek Piskozub gave a talk "Air-sea interaction in the global scale: from AMO to NAO" in Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University.
- February 22-24: Tymon travels to ALOMAR on Andoyi, Norway to take part in the final meeting on JIPPE (Joint Polar Platform Network), a FP7 infrastructures proposal.
- February 12-23: Tomek Petelski is the chief scientist of an aerosol cruise of R/V Oceania in the South Baltic.
- February 6-7: Jacek Piskozub took part in a COST-735, SOLAS and WCRP organized "k conundrum" conference in Norwich, UK, on parameterization of gas and particle fluxes across the sea surface. He presented a talk titled "Commonalities of species in parameterizations: similarities for low winds".
- February 4: Jacek Piskozub gives a talk (in Polish) on measuring climate relevant air-sea interaction fluxes during 5th Yearly Scientific Conference of IOPAS.
- January 29: Tomek Petelski defended his habilitation (roughly equivalent to Doctor of Science) thesis before the Scientific Council of the Institute doubling the number of faculty members in or lab. He gave a talk (one of three proposed) "Supercyclones - a result of the global warming?".
Habilitation of Dr. Tomasz Petelski (photo: Jerzy Dąbrowski)
- January 26-28: Tymon Zieliński organized a weekend meeting to finalize an FP7 infrastructures proposal JIPPE (Joint Polar Platform Network). His guests Michael Gausa and Barbara Lahnor from ALOMAR (Andaoya, Norway), Steven Peterzen from International Science Technology And Research (Pagosa Springs, Colorado) and Silvia Massi from LaSapienza University (Rome, Italy).
- January 18: Jacek Piskozub took part in a meeting in the Ministry of Science and Higher Education in Warsaw on Polish participation in the COPAL project of purchasing and operating a large research aircraft for the European science comunity.
- January 4: Tymon Zieliński takes part in a Arctic Meeting in AWI, Potsdam, Germany planning a joint application for a FP7 Arctic experiment.
- December 10-18: Jacek Piskozub visited University of Natural Sciences in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam to choose coastal sites for future joint experiments and to give six lectures on physical oceanography and climate science:
- "Ecosystem approach to valuation of marine coasts: examples from Baltic Sea" (authored by J. M. Węsławski)
- "Marine aerosol source function: approaching the consensus"
- "Ocean as the sink and source of climatically important gases"
- "Air sea interaction in the global scale: from multidecadal variability to Arctic Oscillation"
- "Climate change threats, Part I: Changes in the climate of the tropic"
- "Climate change threats, Part II: Arctic climate and global sea level".
Jacek Piskozub with the staff of Department of Environmental Physics, UoNS, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- November 29-30: Tymon Zieliński takes part in a FP7 Infrastructure Meeting in Bremerhaven, Germany planning a joint application for a FP7 infrastructure grant.
- November 12-22: Violetta Drozdowska visited Anhui Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics in Hefei, China continuing our cooperation and giving a lecture on "Remote and in-situ measurements of in-water fluorescence in Baltica and Arctic campaigns."
Violetta giving her lecture in Hefei, China
- November 2: The lab helds The Second Polish-Norwegian Atmospheric Science Workshop to wrap up the MACRON experiment and to plan joint grant proposals for follow up experiments.
From the left: Szymon Malinowski, Tadeusz Stacewicz, Jacek Piskozub, Michael Gausa, Tymon Zieliński, Ania Rozwadowska, Andre Erlich, Sandra Blindheim
(photo: Tadeusz Stacewicz).
- October 31: Dr. André Ehrlich from Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany visits us with a talk "Solar Radiative Transfer Trough Arctic Mixed-Phase Clouds". The talk will be held in the large conference room of the Institute at noon.
- October 18-19: Tymon Zieliński and Tomek Petelski visit Institute of Physics, Vilnius, Lithuania to sum up the summer measurement campaign and plan plan further cooperation.
- October 16-17: Jacek Piskozub takes part in the meeting of Management Committee meeting of COST 735 Action in Brussels, Belgium .
- October 1-5: Tymon Zieliński visits Department of Experimental Physics and Environmental Change Institute, National University of Ireland in Galway, Ireland, giving a talk "Studies of aerosol physical properties in the marine boundary layer"
- September 20: Tymon Zieliński takes part in a FP7 Infrastructure Meeting in Hamburg, Germany with a presention "IOPAS Air-Sea Laboratory potential within the framework of the FP7".
- September 18 - 27: Mirek, Longin (and Tymon joining on September 22) take part in a R/V Oceania cruise in South Baltic of Marine Acoustic Laboratory and our lab.
- September 17-20: At SPIE Europe Remote Sensing 2007 conference in Florence, Italy, Sasha Smirnov from NASA gave a talk with Tymon Zielinski as co-author: "Aerosol Robotic Network (AERONET) activity within the framework of the International Polar Year" by Smirnov, A., B.N.Holben, N.T.O'Neill, M.V.Panchenko, M.Sorokin, P.Sobolewski, S.M.Sakerin, V.F.Radionov, R.Wagener, B.Bojkov, G.Zibordi, T.Zielinski, A.Proshutinsky, T.F.Eck, A.Sinyuk, I.Slutsker, D.Giles.
- September 9-14: Tymon took part in European Aerosol Conference 2007 (EAC2007) co-chairing the "Remote sensing" session and presenting 5 posters:
- T. Zieliński, J. Piskozub, T. Petelski, A. Rozwadowska, S. Malinowski, T. Stacewicz, K. Markowicz, R. Neuber, A. Jagodnicka, M. Posyniak, M. Gausa, and S. Blindheim "Studies of the impact of Arctic aerosols on climate modification"
- T. Zielinski, J. Remiszewska, G. Chourdakis, and N. Mihalopoulos "Impact of different aerosol sources on particle optical properties - Experiment SOAP"
- A. Rozwadowska, T. Petelski, K. Migala and T. Zielinski "Results of spring aerosol campaigns in Hornsund, Spitsbergen, 2004 and 2007"
- V. Ulevicius, K. Plauskaite, N. Prokopciuk, N. Spirkauskaite, T. Petelski, and T. Zielinski "Origin of the aerosol nanoparticles in the marine boundary layer over the south-eastern Baltic Sea"
- T. Zielinski and A. Ponczkowska "Aerosol physical properties as an important factor in remote sensing of coastal areas"
- September 6-7 Jacek took part in a Bonus+ meeting in Riga, Latvia on an international proposal of setting up an automatic mooring in Gotland Deep.
- August 6-16: Tymon and Jacek take part in Maritime Aerosol, Clouds and Radiation Observations in Norway (MACRON) experiment on Andoya Island in North Norway together with Warsaw University and ALOMAR Observatory. Our ship Oceania joined us on August 11.
Oceania enters Andernes harbour to take part in the experiment.
Tymon Zieliński, Szymon Malinowski and Krzysztof Markowicz (both from Warsaw University) play Arctic beachball at 69° 17' N. Proof of global warming?
- July 10-12: Jacek Piskozub takes part in a FP7 grant evaluation consensus meeting in Brussels.
- July: Tomek Petelski ends his one year term as the chief scientist of Hornsund Polish Polar Station.
Tomek in Hornsund, Svalbard.
- June 10 - August 23 The lab takes part in another summer Svalbard cruise of r/v Oceania. The aerosol vertical flux and heat measurements, done by Violetta Drozdowska and Longin Stojek are part of Damocles Project and phytoplankton fluorescence studies performed in cooperation with Luca Fiorani and Claudio Poggi from ENEA C.R. Frascati, Italy. Oceania left Gdańsk on June 10 (with Longin onboard) and is expected back on August 23.
- June 7-9: At European Association of Remote Sensing Laboratories EARSeL Workshop "Remote sensing of the coastal zone" in Bolzano, Italy, two posters were presented:
- T. Zielinski, A. Ponczkowska, T. Petelski, K. Markowicz, J. Remiszewska, G. Chourdakis, N. Mihalopoulos, B. Pflug "Impact of aerosol physical properties on remote sensing of coastal areas"
- F. Colao, E. Demetrio, L. Fiorani, V. Lazic, I. A. Palucci, V. Drozdowska, I. G. Okladnikov "Seawater dual fluorescence analysis during the Arctic Summer 2006 Polish oceanographic campaign"
- May 29-30: Jacek Piskozub took part in the meeting of Management Committee and WP2 ("The physical processes controlling air-sea exchange") meeting of COST 735 Action in Brussels, Belgium .
- May 28 - June 1 Violetta Drozdowska took part in Chlorophyll Fluorescence in Aquatic Sciences Meeting (AquaFluo) in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic presenting a poster "The changes of the laser induced fluorescence (LIF) spectra recorded by lidar method in different regions of the Baltic Sea".
- May 22-25: At 2007 AGU Joint Assembly conference in Acapulco, Mexico, Sasha Smirnov from NASA gave a talk with Tymon Zielinski as co-author: " Oceanic Aerosol Network: A Maritime Component of AERONET" by A. Smirnov, B.N. Holben, C.R. McClain, S.M. Sakerin, T. Smyth, V.F. Radionov, T. Zielinski, R. Matarrese, G. Zibordi, A. Proshutinsky, L. Robertson, M. Harvey, I. Slutsker, D. Giles, A. Tran.
- May 22-23: Jacek Piskozub took part in the WP2 meeting of Damocles project in Copenhagen, Denmark giving a talk "Heat and aerosol fluxes measured in the 2006 Arctic cruise of r/v Oceania".
- May 18-19: We tested our equipment in the Gulf of Gdańsk during a short cruise on R/V Oceania.
- April 20: William J. Gutowski of Iowa State University visited us giving a talk "Precipitation Changes in Future Climate: Extreme Events and Constraints".
- March 19-23: Jacek Piskozub and Agnieszka Ponczkowska took part in The Baltic Sea Science Congress 2007 in Rostock, Germany with two talks:
- J. Piskozub, L. Woźniak "If reflectance is the answer; what´s the question? Remote sensing of wave breaking phenomena."
- T. Petelski, J. Piskozub, V. Drozdowska, A. Ponczkowska, M. Dynakowska, T. Zielinski "Studies of marine aerosol dynamics in coastal areas of the Baltic Sea"
- March 7: The lab organized a "Polish-Italian Remote Sensing and Water Fluorescence Workshop" in Sopot. We were also the authors of two talks:
- V. Drozdowska "Remote and in-situ measurements of seawater fluorescence in arctic campaign"
- J. Piskozub "If reflectance is the answer, what is the question?"
- February 27: Marcin Witek from Warsaw University visited us with a talk on global modelling of sea salt aerosol as part of our department seminary cycle.
- February 19 - May 14: Jacek Piskozub gave a lecture course "Ocean and climate: the past, present and future" for our Ph.D. study.
- January 2: Jacek Piskozub, the lab leader, became also the head of our department which changed its English name to Physical Oceanography Department.
- November 23: Jacek Piskozub gives a lecture pt. "From Big Bang to dark matter and why do the oceanographers meddle?" as a part of the Baltic Science Bałtyckiego Festival in the Scientific Cafe of Hotel Rezydent in Sopot.
- November 4-15: The whole lab - excluding Jacek and Tomek - take part in a aerosol research Baltic cruise of r/v Oceania (all the way to Tallinn and back again).
- October 26-27: Jacek Piskozub took part in the first meeting of a five year EU scientific cooperation initiative COST 735 "Tools for Assessing Global Air-Sea Fluxes of Climate and Air Pollution Relevant Gases" Management Committee in Brussels.
- October 11-20: Jacek Piskozub visited Anhui Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics in Hefei, China to make plans for furher coooperations and give lectures on "Variability of fluorescence spectra of surface sea water with a lidar method: (co-authored by Violetta Drozdowska) and "Aerosol source function in the open sea measured using a vertical concentration gradient method" (co-authored by Tomek Petelski).
Jacek Piskozub with a Chinese lidar in Hefei
- September 25-27: Violetta Drozdowska takes part in VI Workshop on Atomic and Molecular Physics in Jurata, Poland presenting a poster.
- September 18-19: Tymon Zieliński and Jacek Piskozub and took part in a (Tymon organized) Polish-Norwegian Atmospheric Science Workshop in Sopot presenting a talk "Aerosol studies using different methods". Apart from IOPAS we had participants from Warsaw University, Institute of Geophysics PAS, Institute of Meteorology and Water Management, Cracow and ALOMAR Obvervatory, Andoya, Norway.
- September 9 - October 1: Mirek Irczuk travels to Svalbard on board Horyzont II, measuring aerosol optical thickness and visiting our collegues at Hornsund Polish Polar Station.
- September 3-14: Tymon Zieliński visits University of Iowa, Ames; University of Wyoming, Laramie and takes part in 7th International Aerosol Conference in St Paul, Minnesota. He presents a talk titled "Studies of aerosol physical properties in the marine boundary layer" at both universities and a poster titled "Aerosol radiative forcing studies at different types of sites" by T. Zielinski, K. Markowicz, G. Chourdakis, N. Mihalopoulos, B. Pflug & A. Rozwadowska at the conference.
- August 28 - September 1: Jacek Piskozub takes part in Summer school on Air-sea-interaction in Helsinki, Finland.
- August 22: We have a visit of Darek Bogucki of RSMAS, University of Miami who gives a talk "Using optics to study small scale physical processes in the ocean" (at 11 a.m).
- July 28 - August 10: Tymon Zielinski took part in SOAP ("Studies Of Aerosol Properties") project measurements in Crete, Creece.
- June 26-29: Jacek and Tymon take part in German-Polish "Air-Sea Interaction Processes" workshop in Starbienin, presenting two talks:
- T. Zielinski, T. Petelski, J. Piskozub, V. Drozdowska, M. Irczuk, L. Stojek "Studies of aerosol physical properties in the marine boundary layer"
- J. Piskozub, T. Petelski "Aerosol source function in the open sea measured using a vertical concentration gradient method"
- June 22: Tomek Petelski leaves for Svalbard on board Horyzont II to take over Hornsund Polish Polar Station as the Chief Scientist of 2006/2007 wintering. Good luck!
- June 22-23: Jacek and Tymon took part in Physical and Chemical Problems of Natural Waters Ecology conference in Gdynia, presenting a poster "Remote oil film thickness measurements on the water surface by means of water raman signal attenuation" by V. Drozdowska, T. Zielinski and J. Piskozub.
Tymon, Jacek (top row), together with Slawek Woźniak and Mirka Ostrowska at the conference.
- June 19 - August 15 Violetta Drozdowska flies to Tromso, Norway to take part in the summer Svalbard cruise of r/v Oceania. The aerosol vertical flux and heat measurements, done by her and Longin Stojek are part of Damocles Project and phytoplankton fluorescence studies performed in cooperation with Dr. Colao Francesco and Dr. Violeta Lazic from ENEA C.R. Frascati, Italy. Oceania left Gdańsk on June 6 (with Longin onboard) and is expected back on August 15.
- June 17-21: Tymon takes part in Summer Workshop 2006 "Atmospheric Aerosols" in Jurata (its programme is available on-line).
- May 6-12: Tomek, Tymon, Mirek and Longin take part in a R/V Oceania cruise towards Lithuanian shores in cooperation with Institute of Physics, Vilnius, Lithuania and Marine Acoustic Laboratory, IOPAS.
- April 7-8: Tomasz Petelski took part in w 16th Seminar on Meteorology and Polar Climatology in Toruń, Poland with a talk titled "Atmospheric research in ASTAR and POLAR-AOD programmes", by T. Petelski & T. Zieliński.
- March 21 - April 7: Tomek Petelski and Tymon Zielinski travel to Ny-Alesund, Svalbard to take part in an international measurement campaign of POLAR-AOD program, a part of International Polar Year 2007.
Tymon Zielinski & Tomek Petelski measure atmospheric optical thickness in Ny Alesund, Svalbard
- March 7-8: Our 2005 results were reported by the lab head during the Third IOPAS Seminar summing up the Institute scientific progress.
- February 21: Tymon had a talk "Latest trends in aerosol research" as part of Marine Hydrodynamics Department Seminars.
- February 20 - March 4: Tomek, Violetta, Mirek and Longin take part in a R/V Oceania cruise in South Baltic of Marine Acoustic Laboratory and our lab.
Aerosol vertical gradient measurements on board R/V Oceania (photo: Vo Luong Hong Phuoc)
- February 7: Violetta had a talk on fluorescence lidar research as part of Marine Hydrodynamics Department Seminars.
- February 6-8: Jacek took part in Damocles Project WP2 (Atmosphere) workshop in Bremen, Germany.
- February 3: Tymon visited Kraków branch of Institute of Meteorology and Water Management (IMGW) to discuss possible joint lidar research.
- February 3: The habilitation of Jacek Piskozub has been officially confirmed.
- January 10: We had an opportunity to present our vision of the Lab's future research to the Institute Directors and our Department Head.
- December 20: Tomek had a talk "Marine aerosol emission" as part of Marine Hydrodynamics Department Seminars.
- December 7: Tomek Petelski visited Institute of Geophysics PAS in Warsaw to get his nomination for chief scientist of 2006/2007 wintering in Hornsund Polish Polar Station, Svalbard, Norway.
- December 6: Jacek repeated his habilitation talk at the Marine Hydrodynamics Department Seminar.
- December 1: Violetta Drozdowska sucessfully defended her Ph.D thesis. Congratulations!!! The title was confirmed by the full Scientific Council of the Institute on December 7.
Prof. Zygmunt Klusek announces the verdict to Violetta Drozdowska while Jacek Piskozub keeps his fingers crossed (photo: Jerzy Dąbrowski)
- November 29: Jacek Piskozub gave a talk to graduate students of the Institute titled "Critique of Karl Popper's epistemology from the point of view of an oceanographer".
- November 28-30: Tymon & Tomek, together with Ania Rozwadowska, travel to Vilnius, Lithuania, in order to visit Institute of Physics to make plans for a future joint aerosol experiment.
- November 21-22: Tymon Zieliński took part in the the final meeting of Centre of Excellence for Shelf Seas Science (CeSSS) Advisory Board as a representative of end-users.
- November 14-19: Jacek Piskozub visited Istituto di Scienze Marine, CNR in Venice, Italy to discuss joint application for EU grants, to assess the possibility of using Acqua Alta oceanographic platform for joint research and to give a talk titled "Marine aerosol emission studies in the Baltic and Nordic Seas".
Luigi Cavaleri (CNR, Venice) with Jacek Piskozub on top of Aqua Alta tower
- November 7: At the seminar session for IOPAS graduate students Jacek Piskozub had a lecture on air-see system & biosphere interactions in the history of planet Earth and Ludomir Woźniak presented his Master degree thesis.
- November 4: We (Jacek, Tomek & Tymon) took part in an inauguration session of Polish network for atmospheric studies (final name to be announced) in Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University.
- October 19-29: We had a R/V Oceania Baltic cruise with six participants from the lab (Jacek as chief scientist, Tomek, Tymon, Viola, Mirek & Longin) - two including Tymon (see below), join us on October 22, two from Marine Acoustic Laboratory, three guest scientists from Institute of Physics, Vilnius, Lithuania, one from Estonia and a student from Warsaw. We plan to visit Tallinn, Estonia - from where three of us (Jacek, Tomek & Tymon) will go to Atmospheric Sciences Division of Helsinki University, Finland - to take part in one day workshop presenting our aerosol research results. Update: Due to a storm in Finland Gulf we were unable to participate in the Helsinki workshop.
- October 17-21: Tymon Zielinski took part in AAAR 2005 Annual Conference in Austin, Texas presenting a poster "Aerosol optical properties in the Arctic region" by T. Zielinski, T. Petelski & A. Rozwadowska.
- September 29: Jacek Piskozub defended his habilitation (roughly equivalent to Doctor of Science) thesis "Monte Carlo study of measurement artefacts in marine optics" before the Scientific Council of the Institute. He gave a talk (one of three proposed) "Big Bang, dark matter and oceanography: how marine optics may help cosmology and particle physics" ( a PDF version in Polish is available. The two lectures not chosen are also available: "Interaction of atmosphere-ocean system and biosphere in the history of Earth" and "Critique of Karl Poppers epistemology from the point of view of a marine physicist"). The degree was confirmed on February 3, 2006.
Habilitation lecture of Dr. Jacek Piskozub (photo: Jerzy Dąbrowski)
- September 22-28: Our good friend, David McKee of Strathclyde University, is spending a week of holidays in Sopot, before taking part in a R/V Oceania cruise on September 29. We're glad he uses some of his free time to visit the lab and hope to use it productively on our joint reseach project.
- September 20: Jacek Piskozub was supervisor at Applied Physics and Mathematics Faculty of Gdansk University of Technology of successfully defended Master's Thesis by Ludomir Wozniak titled "Parameterization of near-surface in-water radiation direction distribution for various environmental conditions using a Monte Carlo method". Congratulations to the new Master of Physics.
- September 13: Tymon takes part at 38th Congress of Polish Physicists in Warsaw, presenting a poster "Marine aerosol research" by T. Zielinski, T. Petelski, J. Piskozub & V. Drozdowska.
- September 12-19: Mirek & Longin take part in a R/V Oceania cruise of Marine Acoustic Laboratory, measuring marine aerosol concentrations as well as atmospheric optical depth.
- September 12-16: Zbyszek Otremba (from Gdynia Maritime University) takes part in 3rd International Conference "Current Problems in Optics of Natural Waters" (ONW'2005) in St. Petersburg, Russia with a talk titled "Polarized phase functions for chosen suspensions in seawater" by Z. Otremba & J. Piskozub.
- September 12-16: Krzysztof Markowicz from Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University took part in ACCENT symposium on The Changing Chemical Climate of the Atmosphere in Urbino, Italy presenting a poster "Observation of Optical Properties and Radiative Forcing of Nonspherical Particles over Poland" by K. M. Markowicz, A. E. Kardas, C. Hochherz, K. Stelmaszczyk, A. Rozwadowska, T. Zielinski, G. Karasinski, J. Remiszewska, M. Witek, Sz. Malinowski, T. Stacewicz, and L. Woeste.
- August 28 - September 2: Tomek and Tymon took part in European Aerosol Conference 2005 in Ghent, Belgium, presenting three posters:
- T. Petelski "Coarse aerosol concentration and estimated fluxes over the North Polar waters of the Atlantic"
- A. Rozwadowska, T. Petelski, S. Debatin and T. Zielinski "Aerosol properties in Hornsund, Spitsbergen, during ASTAR 2004 campaign"
- T. Zielinski, M. Halas, J. Grabowski and A. Papayannis "Studies of aerosol vertical distribution over urban coastal areas"
- August 23: Tymon Zielinski gives an invited talk at Alfred-Wegener-Institute (AWI) in Potsdam, Germany. The talk is titled: "Studies of aerosol properties in marine environments".
- August 8: Kasia Majewska finished her 6 month internship in our lab. We hope to see her back in September as a graduate student. Good luck! Update: Kasia was hired by Szewalski Institute of Fluid-Flow Machinery. Good luck, anyway!
- June 24-28: Andrzej Radlinski from Geoscience (Canberra, Australia) visited our lab. He gave a talk on remote (fluorometric & hyperspectral) sensing of oil seeps in Australia shelf seas. We plan cooperation on this subject (using similar Monte Carlo methodology as in Otremba, Piskozub 2001) as well as research of air bubble size distributions in ocean upper layers.
- June 20-23: We take part in 5th Baltic Sea Science Congress "The Baltic Sea - a changing ecosystem" here in Sopot. On Thursday Tymon has a talk "Studies of aerosol properties in coastal area" by T. Zielinski, T. Petelski, J. Piskozub & V. Drozdowska. This is proof we were there:
- June 13-15: We had a three day visit of Bringfried Pflug from DLR, Germany and a one day (Monday) visit from Krzysztof Markowicz from Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University. The discussion subjects were (obviously) common research plans and future EU grants.
- June 9: Dr. Jacek Piskozub received one of two ex equo prizes of the Institute Director prizes for scientific publications in 2004.
- June 8 - July 20 Tomek Petelski & Longin Stojek take part in the first part of s/y Oceania polar cruise from Gdańsk, Poland to Longyerbyen, Spitsbergen (Svalbard Archipelago). Oceania is expected back in Gdańsk on August 18. This is a photo of Oceania sent by Chief Officer Knut Revne from mt "DORIS" who met our ship close to SW Norway on June 12:
- June 6-11: Tymon Zielinski took part in 25 EARSel Symposium "Global Developments in Environmental Earth Observation from Space" in Porto, Portugal where at Remote Sensing of the Coastal Zone workshop, he presented a talk "Atmospheric ground-truth measurements in the marine boundary layer over coastal areas" by T. Zielinski, B. Pflug & B. Gerasch (both co-authors from DLR, Germany)
- May 24: Tomek Petelski, Tymon Zieliński & Jacek Piskozub together with Ania Rozwadowska (from Marine Optics Laboratory) take part in a workshop at Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University, discussing data collected in the spring Saharan dust experiment and planning further joint research.
- May 19: Tymon represented us at Remote sensing and bio-optical modelling of the Baltic Sea workshop organized by CeSSS with a talk titled "Optical properties of aerosols in the MBL of the Baltic coastal zone".
- May 17-19: First results of the Strathclyde University cooperation were presented by David McKee at 8th International Conference for Marine and Coastal Environments in Halifax, Canada as a talk titled "Determining the Effect of Wavelength Dependent Scattering Phase Functions on In-situ IOP Measurements and Modelling Underwater Radiance Transfer" by D. McKee, A. Cunnighham and J. Piskozub.
- May 11-13: Tymon Zieliński & Tomek Petelski together with Ania Rozwadowska (from Marine Optics Laboratory) take part in an ASTAR Project workshop in Bremerhaven, Germany, discussing data collected in 2004 and planning future measurement Arctic campaigns.
- May 6: Tomek Petelski and Tymon Zieliński took part in "XV Ogólnopolskie Seminarium Meteorologii i Klimatologii Polarnej" conference at Department of Meteorology & Climatology, Gdansk University presenting talks (in Polish):
- May 4-14: Mirek, Longin & Kasia take part in yet another cruise of Physical Oceanography Lab.
- April 6: Tomek Petelski and Jacek Piskozub had talk about our aerosol source function research as continuation of the 2004/5 department seminar series.
- March 21: Tomel Petelski & Tymon Zielinski took our instruments to Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University to start the joint spring Saharan dust experiment.
- March 9: Violetta Drozdowska had a talk titled "Analysis of fluorescence spectra of sea water & water type classification" as a part of 2004/5 department seminar series.
- March 1-10: Mirek, Longin & Kasia take part in another cruise of Physical Oceanography Lab.
- February 23: Tymon Zielinski had a talk "Aerosol research in the Arctic - ASTAR project", as his input to 2004/5 Hydrodynamics Department seminar series.
- February 22-24: Dr. Roland Neuber of AWI (Germany) took part in Third International Symposium on the Arctic Research in Tokyo, Japan presenting a poster "Studies of physical properties of Arctic aerosols" by Petelski, T., Zielinski, T., Rozwadowska, A., Neuber, R.
- February 18: We had three visitors from Institute of Geophysics and Institute of Experimental Physics, Warsaw University discussing plans of a future joint Saharan dust experiment.
- February 7: The lab have an intern, Katarzyna Majewska, M.Sc., who will work for at least 6 month on the aerosol data we've collected in recent years.
- February 5-15: Tomek, Viola, Mirek & Longin take part in a joint r/v Oceania cruise of our lab and Physical Oceanography Lab.
- February 2: Viola filed today her Ph.D. thesis!
- January 31 - February 1: Our 2004 results were reported by the lab head during the Second IOPAS Seminar summing up the Institute scientific progress.
- January 17-21: Jacek Piskozub visited Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland to continue the join work on inproving in-water absorption and attenuation measurement correction methods.
- January 13: Tymon Zielinski gave a talk at Institute of Geophysics, Warsaw University about our lidar studies of marine aerosol
- December 31: We finish another year of seven peer-reviewed papers published. Not bad. Happy New Year 2005 to everyone!
- November 25-30: Violetta took part in a cruise of Marine Bio-Optics Laboratory measuring sea water fluorescence.
- November 4-18: Mirek and Longin worked as measurement technicians in a cruise of Physical Oceanography Laboratory. Tomek joined them on November 10.
- October 26: Air-Sea Interaction Lab took part in three EU grant proposals filed today:
- ASECARE (Air-Sea Exchange, Atmospheric Chemistry and Radiation Interactions in the Marine Atmospheric Boundary Layer)
- AtmosCarbon (Role of atmosphere-ocean exchanges of organic carbon on climate and the marine carbon cycle)
- BreakWAX (Breaking waves, Whitecapping and Air-sea fluXes)
- October 4-13: Tomek Petelski is the chief scientist of a R/V Oceania cruise studying the aerosol production function for open Baltic Sea.
- October 4-8: Tymon Zielinski takes part in 23rd Annual AAAR Conference in Atlanta, Georgia with a talk "Studies of aerosol physical properties in the Arctic region of Spitsbergen" as well as to chair the "Aerosols and Climate Change / Indirect Effects, Aerosol Properties" session.
- September 19-25: David McKee from Strathclyde University, Glasgow visited our lab to start cooperation aimed at achieving closure in marine optics measurements.
- September 16-17: We take part in V Workshop On Atomic And Molecular Physics in Jurata, Poland. Violetta Drozdowska has a talk titled "Study of variable fluorescent properties of sea-water by lidar methods". Tymon Zielinski & Jacek Piskozub present a poster "Lidar-based studies of aerosol in the marine boundary layer".
- September 6-10: Tomek Petelski and Tymon Zielinski took part in European Aerosol Conference 2004 in Budapest, Hungary presenting a talk:
and three posters:
- "Aerosol physical properties measured in the arctic during the AREX campaigns of 2000-2003" T. Zielinski, T. Petelski
- "Coarse aerosol number concentration and size distribution over the North Polar waters of the Atlantic" T. Petelski
- "The sea spray emission from open Baltic" T. Petelski, J. Piskozub
- "Variations of aerosol optical properties and ozone contents in the Spitsbergen region" T. Zielinski
- August 17-18: Tymon Zielinski travel led to Riso, Denmark to discuss plans for a EU grant on climate impact of marine aerosol.
- July 5-9: Jacek Piskozub visited Laboratoire d'Océanographie de Villefranche near Nice, France to discuss possible future joint research projects and give a talk "Can we measure optically bubble concentrations under breaking waves?".
- June 8-18: Violetta Drozdowska and Tymon Zieliński took part in the first leg of s/y Oceania polar cruise from Gdańsk, Poland to Tromso, Norway. Longin Stojek continues all the way to Spitsbergen (Svalbard Archipelago) and back again. Oceania is expected back in Gdańsk on August 18.
- June 3: Our colleagues (Tomek Petelski and Tymon Zieliński) scooped 2/3 of the Director's prizes for scientific publications in 2003. Congratulations!
- May 25-27: Violetta and Tymon took part in 24th EARSeL Symposium "New Strategies for European Remote Sensing" in Dubrovnik, Croatia presenting posters:
- May 17-26: Prof. Wenqing Liu and two graduate students from Anhui Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences visited our laboratory to commence cooperation in the field of fluorescence lidars.
- May 13-14: Tymon Zieliński and Violetta Drozdowska took part in a "Physicochemical problems of natural waters ecology" conference in Szczecin, Poland.
- May 11 - June 23: Tomek Petelski conducts aerosol measurements in Hornsund, Svalbard within the framework of ASTAR project (our effort coordinated by Tymon Zieliński).
- May 11-13: Jacek Piskozub took part in a workshop "Towards a universal sea spray source function" in Skipton, England, giving a talk by Tomek Petelski (who travels to Svalbard at the same time) titled "The marine aerosol emission from the open sea areas in the Baltic Sea"
- April 21: Tomek Petelski had a talk "Aerosol emission from sea surface" as the final one in 2003/4 Hydrodynamics Department seminar series.
- April 19-30: We were conducting an aerosol experiment on the institute building roof. This is a cooperation effort of our lab and the aerosol team of Prof. Lucyna Falkowska of Marine Chemistry and Environmental Protection Dept. of Oceanography Institute, Gdansk University.
- April 5-7: Tymon Zielinski (together with Miroslaw Darecki of Remote Sensing Laboratory) visited DLR in Berlin to plan the next Baltic and Arctic measurement campaigns.
- March 24-30: We participated in a s/y Oceania South Baltic scientific cruise together with Marine Acoustics lab (with Jacek, Tomek, Viola, Mirek & Longin taking part).
- March 5: The lab took part in a "Biotic and abiotic factors controlling air-sea aerosol and gas exchange fluxes in eutrophied basins" workshop at Institute of Oceanography, Gdansk University (our effort coordinated by Tymon Zielinski)
- February 18: Jacek Piskozub had a talk "How well can you measure optically in-water bubble cloud concentration? A study in measurement error" at the Hydrodynamics Department seminar (11 a.m.)
- February 16 - March 4: Two lab members (Tomek Petelski & Longin Stojek) take part in a s/y Oceania scientific cruise to Arkona Basin.
- February 2-3: Our 2003 results were reported by the lab head during the First IOPAS Seminar summing up the Institute scientific progress.
- January 27 - February 4: Two lab members (Tomek Petelski & Mirek Irczuk) took part in a s/y Oceania scientific cruise organized by Physical Oceanography Lab.
- December 31: We end the year with 7 peer-reviewed papers published. A fruitful year, it seems. All the best in New Year 2004 for everyone!
- December 15-20: Alexey Lisin from LDI, Tallinn, Estonia visited the lab for fluorimeter M32B joint measurements.
- November 27: A proposal for EU funded (FP6) grant MUFFINS (Multisensor Forest Fires
Surveillance Platform, implemented with LIDAR, Neural Network and
Geolocalisation abilities) with our participation (IOPAS effort coordinated by Dr. Jacek Piskozub) was filed in Brussels.
- November 25 - December 10: We took part in a s/y Oceania scientific cruise organized by our lab (Dr. J. Piskozub - chief scientist, Dr. T. Petelski, Dr. T. Zieliński, M.SC. V. Drozdowska and Eng. M. Irczuk) together with Marine Acoustics and Physical Oceanography labs.
- November 18: Dr. Tymon Zielinski received IOPAS Director's 2nd prize for 2002 publishing.
- November 13-16: Dr. Tymon Zieliński visited Tallinn, Estonia to discuss further lidar cooperation with LDI
- November 4-9: Dr. Tomasz Petelski visited Institute of Physics, Vilnius University (Lithuania) working on a common proposal for a EU grant.
- October 20-24: Dr. Tymon Zieliński participated in AAAR Annual Conference in Anaheim, California giving a talk titled "Aerosol physical properties in the coastal zone near the urban area in the southern Baltic"
- October 14-29: Eng. Mirek Irczuk took part in a s/y Oceania scientific cruise in Western Baltic measuring atmospheric optical depth
- October 9: A proposal for EU funded (FP6) grant HAREM (Modelling of harmful algae blooms in European marine waters) with our participation (IOPAS effort coordinated by Dr. Jacek Piskozub) was filed in Brussels
- October 4-9: M. Sc Violetta Drozdowska visited Applied Physics Division, ENEA in Frascati, Italy to give a talk "The investigation of the optical properties of the upper water layer of the Arctic Seas - Polar Expedition 2002"
- October 1: The lab organized a CeSSS sponsored workshop IO PAS - AWI Seminar on Lidar Investigations in the Arctic, Sopot