- Poster on Species Distribution modelling in Hornsund
- Marcin Wichorowski presents GAME project data management on the scientific conference “Open Research Data: Implications for Science and Society”, Warsaw, Poland, May 28–29, 2015.
- Quality and sources of food for benthic communities in the two Arctic fjords - poster
- Modeling of the Spitsbergen Fjords - poster
- Modelling Spitsbergen Fjords by Hydrodynamic Mike Engine - poster
- Useful maps by Joanna Pardus
- 1 Kongs_area 01 to 20 m, 1 Kongs area 02 from 20 to 100 m
- 1 Kongs area 03 below 100 m, 1 Kongs area 04 all
- 2 Horn area 02 from 20 to 100 m, 2 Horn area 03 below 100 m
- 2 Horn area 04 all, 3 Horns 01 profile
- 3 Horns 02 profile, 3 Kongs 01 profile
- 3 Kongs 02 profile, 4 2 Fiords profile
- 4 Horns 02 profile, 4 Kongs 02 profile
- 5 Water level, Hornsund overview
- Hornsund 01, Kongsfjorden overview
DELIVERABLES - OPEN LIST of titles and authors, advanced paper plans after the meeting 15th April 2014 complete manuscripts due 31st December 2014
- Kongsfjorden and Hornsund hydrography – a multiyear survey on fjords under different drivers – How different are two fjords in terms of freshwater budget, T/S variability, volume of winter water produced, rate of water exchange, mixing process, stability of picnocline etc…Paper is focused on the fjords oceanography, the division on basins, internal mixing processes. Data are compiled from archival IO PAN sources 2001- 2013.
Agnieszka Promińska, Małgorzata Cisak, Waldek Walczowski...?
Modelling and observations of the Kongsfjorden and Hornsund response to the increased Atlantic water inflow – After introduction the strong Atlantic water influx to the model, are there any differences left between two fjords. Paper is focused on the shelf- basin interactions, frontal systems at the fjords entrance, possibility of eddies entering fjords from the shelf etc…
Jaromir Jakacki, Szymon Kosecki, Anna Przyborska, Agnieszka Beszczyńska, Waldek Walczowski, ……... ?
- Atmosphere as driving force for hydrological changes in Kongsfjorden and Hornsund – measurements and modelling - Is there any un- coupling between atmospheric and oceanographic conditions ? How the local atmospheric processes may modify fjords hydrology? Are the large scale atmospheric phenomena responsible for observed changes in fjords hydrography? Perspective from the North Atlantic/Arctic atmospheric forcing to the local fjords meteorology and hydrology.
Jacek Piskozub, Tomasz Petelski, Przemek Makuch……?
- The euphotic zone in fjords – analyse of last ten years and modeling the future – How thick is the euphotic zone throughout the season, how it varies in different years, how it is related with the Atlantic inflows and glacier melts, is there any temporal pattern in euphotic zone of analysed areas, how this is related to the amount of sediment in glacial outflow. .
Sławek Sagan, Mirek Darecki,… ?
- Chlorophyll, other pigments and microplankton in two contrasting Spitsbergen fjords.
Summer 2013 values from two comparable fjord basins are presented and discussed on the background of archival materials from two fjords. The paper presents the consequence of hydrological differences on the water column biochemistry and microorganisms. Is cold Hornsund less productive compared to warmer Kongsfjorden.
Alicja Kosakowska, Maria Łotocka, Józef Wiktor, Anna Kubiszyn, Anetta Ameryk
- Benthic and pelagic diversity in warming up fjords – a homogenization?
What is the nature of present day differences in pelagial & benthos zonation in the two fjords, are they on the way to homogenization, and dissolving of the fine scale assemblages or specific species occurrence? Based on the archival material from last 10 years the scale of spatial changes in species distribution in two fjords is assessed. Is Hornsund less modified compared to Kongsfjorden ? How many new species are registred in the fjords in last 10 years ?
Maria Włodarska- Kowalczuk, Sławek Kwaśniewski, Jan Marcin Węsławski…?
- Oxygen consumption in sediments of the two contrasting fjords. – What is the oxygen consumption by the sediment in different fjords, How it is related to the biogeochemistry of sediments and microbial activity. How the meio and macrofauna are related to the oxygen uptake values ?How different pelag-benthoc coupling – sedimentation of organic and mineral material is influencing the process ?
Lech Kotwicki, Maria Włodarska Kowalczuk, Agata Zaborska, Anetta Ameryk, Marek Zajączkowski, Kasia Jankowska...?
- Respiration rates of key species in Hornsund and Kongsfjorden.
Paper presents new and archival data on the respiration rates of over 30 macro benthic species from the two fjords. Relations to body mass, taxon and temperature are presented. Assessment of oxygen uptake by large benthic assemblages are presented.
Lech Kotwicki, Krzysztof Opalinski, Maciej Wolowicz, Adam Sokolowski, Jan Marcin Weslawski, …?
- Long term changes in soft bottom fauna from Kongsfjorden and Hornsund.
Paper presents the data from 1996 to 2013 on the soft bottom macrofauna from monitoring stations in Kongsfjorden and Hornsund. It shows the interannual variability of dominant and rare species and shows how the fauna is dissimilar in particular years, are both fjords present the similar trend of changes ?
Monika Kędra, Maria Włodarska-Kowalczuk, Joanna Legeżyńska, Sławomira Gromisz
- How good are fjords as proxy for the Arctic marine ecosystem climate change? – Are the patterns observed in fjord similar to those observed over shelf and deep sea, Central Arctic Basin – how specific and regional are our observations – especially when compared to East Greenland works. Paper is focused on the hydrographic- meteorological phenomena, with additional information on bio-chemical processes.
Jacek Piskozub, Tomasz Petelski, Waldek Walczowski, Jan Marcin Weslawski, Agata Zaborska... ?
- Modelling (ECOPATH) the food web in two similar, Arctic fjords of different hydrological regime - Are the trophic pathways different in to compared sites ? what effect has the prolonged primary production due to the ice absence ? Is energy more dissipated in a warmer site ?
Marta Głuchowska, Maciej Tomczak, Joanna Legeżyńska, Jan Marcin Węsławski, Sławek Kwaśniewski, Józef Wiktor, Anetta Ameryk, Maria Włodarska- Kowalczuk, Joanna Szczucka... ?
- Benthic and pelagic food web structure in two contrasting fjords – Stable isotopes, fatty acids and gut content as a descriptors of food web in cold and warmed up fjord.
Joanna Legeżyńska , Maria Włodarska- Kowalczuk, Agata Zaborska, Ksenia Pazdro
- Crustaceans in two fjords - How different are fauna lists in two fjord among crustacea. How the faunal lists are related to habitats, available space and connectiveness between shelf and fjords.
Joanna Legeżyńska, Anna Piszewska, Jan Marcin Węsławski
- Warming of marine Arctic – no species loss ? – Paper submitted to Arctic Biodiversity Symposium, Trondheim, December 2014. Stability of fjords fauna is presented on the archival data (XIX cent) fauna inventories and recent two decades of intensive research. Generally no species were lost, while new species are added with the ongoing warming of the area.
Jan Marcin Węsławski, Maria Włodarska Kowalczuk, Sławomir Kwaśniewski, Joanna Legeżyńska
- Size spectra in benthic and pelagic assemblages in two contrasting fjords
From meiofauna, to macrofauna and fish in pelagic and benthic domains the size spectra are presented to verify the hypothesis, that warming up cause shrinking the individual length as well as the general preference for the selection of smaller organisms.
Maria Włodarska- Kowalczuk, Barbara Górska, Joanna Szczucka, Emilia Jankowska
- Pan-arctic population of zooplanktonic copepod Calanus glacialis
Pelagic Calanus copepods from different sites around the Arctic exhibit the characteristics of one pan-mictic population in spite of ocean currents and localisations.
Agata Weydmann et al.
- GAME project data base as an example of interdisciplinary, open access environmental data system in the network of biogeographical data bases and national repositories.
Paper presents the management of GAME data, its relation to large international data repositories and demonstrates how linked is the data base, what is the user profile, what kind of data are most interested to users. Compared to other data sources ho much and how valuable information is presented here ? Discussion on the pros and contras on the open data is presented in comparison with other data management policies. Compared to other data sources ho much and how valuable information is presented here ?
Marcin Wichorowski, Joanna Pardus, Joanna Piwowarczyk
- Implementation of the tidal forces into the models of the selected Svalbard fjords
Svalbard fjords represent the inlets of the archipelago that the General Circulation Models (GSM) does not take into account or they are represented in the models only as a few model cells. Also, the bottom topography of the inlets does not suggest to use GCM models for such area. In our work commercial software MIKE 3D (developed by Danish Hydraulics Institute (DHI)), which is unfortunately not plug-and-play system, was implemented for the following Svalbard fjords: Kongsfiorden, Krosfiorden and Hornsund.
Jaromir Jakacki1, Anna Przyborska1 and Szymon Kosecki1