IO PAN Events
- 29 Nov - 1 Dec 2016 workshop of H2020 project "AtlantOS". The workshop, held at the IO PAN in Sopot brought together 15 experts (and two remote participants) in biogeochemical observations and modelling from several countries around the Atlantic: Brazil,United States, Norway, Ireland, United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Germany and Poland. Comparing the targets developed during this workshop with the current observing capabilities will enable a comprehensive gap analysis (as part of AtlantOS Task 1.2) aimed at providing recommendations for designing optimized and enhanced Atlantic Ocean observing system.
More on meeting.
- 15-16th November 2016, IO PAN, Sopot. The EurOcean, European Centre for Information on Marine Science and Technology, 16th Steering Committee Meeting was held at IO PAN. The Steering Committee, composed of the members from fourteen European institutions, set up the plan for the activity for the next year. As a part of the meeting, a half-day open session was held on Facilitating Transnational Usage of Europe´s Marine Research Infrastructure. Porgramme, The video recording of presentations
- October 18th 2016, Institute of Oceanology, SopotInauguration of the Academic Year 2016/2017 of the Interdisciplinary Polar Studies, 10.30 AM.
- October 14th -17th, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. "Importance of calving for mass budget of Arctic glaciers" – Sopot Scientific Seminar on Ice Calving in the Arctic (3SICA). Programme.
- October 11-13 2016, IMDIS 2016, Gdańsk ECS. International Conference on Marine Data and Information Systems (IMDIS), organized by our Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences jointly with Institute of Meteorology and Water Management, IFREMER, BODC, CSIC, MARIS, OGS (SeaDataNet partners), will be held in the ECS -Europejskie Centrum Solidarnośći Gdańsk. The Conference will present different systems for on-line access to data, meta-data and products, communication standards and adapted technology to ensure platforms interoperability. Sessions will focus on infrastructures, technologies and services for different users. More information, also on registration: IMDIS 2016.
- 10th October 2016. Inauguration of the Academic Year 2016/2017 of the IO PAN Postgraduation Studies - this year with 5 news students.
- September 20, 2016, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. Board Meeting of Polish Academy of Sciences in Gdansk
- visit at IO PAN in Sopot Photos.
- 29 July 2016. 29th August "AREX 2016" is completed, s/y Oceania is back after her 30th Polar Expedition.
- 14 July 2016, New York. Professor Tymon Zieliński appointed to the Group of experts of the Regular Process for Global Reporting and Assessment of the State of the Marine Environment.
The appointment took place on July 13th 2016.
- 10th July 2016. It is with great sadness that we learnt of the passing of our professor Czesław Druet (1926-2016), General Director of the Institute of Oceanology PAN (1976-1990), full member of the Polish Academy of Sciences, member of the scientific advisory boards of several Polish instituties of marine research, expert in physical oceanography, geophysical hydromechanics & marine coastal processes. Author and co-author of 11 scientific books and over 90 scientific papers. We lost an outstanding person.
- 24th June 2016, Polish-Lithuanian Academy of Sciences cooperation. In the frame of Polish-Lithuanian cooperation IO PAN had the occasion to host dr Sigitas Šulčius from Nature Research Centre in Vilnius with the lecture "How harmful are harmful algal blooms? A case study from the Curonian Lagoon". The event was organized by the Marine Chemistry Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research. Abstract, Publications
- 14th June "AREX 2016". R/v Oceania left Gdańsk for her 30th cruise to the Arctic.
- 1st - 2nd June 2016. From June 1 to June 3, IO PAN had the pleasure of hosting the Fifth Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS) Steering Committee Meeting. The meeting was attended by a total of 37 participants representing institutions and organizations from 5 continents who met to review the state and trajectory of the ocean observing system, review the work of GOOS structures and to discuss the near-future strategy and implementation plan. Detailed information about the meeting agenda, participants and presentations can be found on the GOOS events site. The meeting was also an opportunity for IO PAN to present its multidisciplinary observing and monitoring efforts, as presented by our scientists - Prof. Walczowski, Dr Kwaśniewski and Prof. Darecki during a mini symposium organized on June 2nd.
- 1st June 2016. We are proud to inform that the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of
Science was granted HR Excellence in Research award. more info
- 20th May 2016, International Sopot Youth Conference "WHERE THE WORLD IS HEADING. The first edition of the International Conference entitled Where the World is heading was held at the Institute of Oceanology, PAN in Sopot. This conference is the continuation of the long tradition of the Sopot Youth Forum. At the end of the conference the photo exibition entitled "Day and night – light and shadow of Spitsbergen" was inaugurated. The show promoting unusual life and charm of the Far North is to be hosted outside our Institute during the whole summer season. More info,
List of posters,
- 17th - 19 th May 2016, Institute of Oceanology PAN , Sopot. BOOS Annual Meeting and Scientific Workshop
- 7th May 2016, Warsaw. IO PAN was involved in the 20.Science Picnic in Warsaw. The organizers were: Polish Radio and the Copernicus Science Centre. This outdoor event aimed to promote science - this year with theme "Health" , focusing on the connections between science and our health. Photos
- 27th-28th April 2016, Institute of Oceanology PAN in Sopot. For two days, 27 – 28th of April 2016, IO PAN, Sopot, hosted the Spring Plenary Meeting of the European Marine Board. The Board meets twice a year; the previous meeting in Poland was held in 2009. Based in Oostende in Belgium, the EMB represents 36 national oceanographic institutes, funding agencies and national networks of universities across 19 countries, which fund its work. The board’s mission is to develop common positions on major priorities for seas and ocean research and to communicate these to European and national policy-makers. The Meeting was also the opportunity for the Institute to present our research potential, research activities and results to European experts in the field. Note
- 13th April 2016, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. The Major Baltic Inflows 2014-2015 Development and Consequences (International Workshop, 13th Aprli 2016, IO PAN, Sopot, POLAND).Information about the workshop,
- 5th -7th April 2016. The Annual Meeting of the ICES Working Group on Ocean Hydrography (ICES WGOH) was held on April 5-7, 2016 at the Institute of Oceanology PAN in Sopot, Poland.
23 scientists from Poland, UK, Germany, Spain, Island, Faroe Islands, Denmark, Greenland, Russia, Sweden, Norway and US participated at the meeting and presented 20 talks, including the mini-symposium with seven presentations for the open public. The main focus of the WGOH activities is on the long-term variability of ocean properties in the North Atlantic, the Nordic Seas and the European Arctic. Every year the ICES Report on Ocean Climate (IROC) is prepared and published by the WGOH
- 26 February 2016, Institute of Geophysics Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw:
General Assembly of the Centre for Polar Studies on CSP-KNOW tasks. Draft agenda of the meeting:
Centre current issues regarding strategic activities, Suggestions regarding joint research proposals, Discussion issues presented by the members of the Board of Directors and institute directors, Open discussion.
- 12nd February 2016, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot: XIII Annual Conference of the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences – ‘New methods and directions of research at the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot‘. Conference Programme (in Polish), Conference papers (in Polish).
Between 8th and 10th February 2016, Institute of Oceanology of Polish Academy of Sciences was a host for Inauguration meeting for the project DAIMON – Decision Aid for Marine Munitions. Project is funded by European Union Regional Development Fund within the Interreg Baltic Sea Region Programme 2014-2020. During three years of the project realization, monitoring methods will be developed for describing the conditions in chemical weapon dumping areas located in different parts of Baltic Sea. Afterwards an efficient tool will be created for facilitating decision processes in the field of chemical weapon recovery from the sea bottom. Nearly 50 guests participated in the meeting, including scientists from 13 institutions (from 8 countries) involved in project realization, representatives of polish Ministry of Development, local authorities and EU Baltic Sea Region Programme.
The EuroMarine 2016 General Assembly (GA) meeting was held in Olhão (Algarve, Portugal), on 28-29 Jan. 2016. The GA meeting had preceded and followed by EuroMarine Steering Committee (SC) meetings. During this meeting, employee of the Institute – MSc Joanna Piwowarczyk - was appointed as a member of the Steering Committee of the network. EuroMarine (European Marine Research Network) was established with the merger of three networks of excellence: EUR-OCEANS, the Marine Genomics Europe and MarBEF. As a member of the Steering Committee Joanna Piwowarczyk will participate in the development of internal competitions network to organize workshops and working groups, and in co-management network.
International Workshop ATMOSPHERIC STUDIES IN THE ARCTIC, held on 28 and 29 January 2016 in the IO PAN. Main areas of interest included: Arctic aerosol studies, Canadian biomass burning event in July 2015,
Recommendations for integrated studies in Ny-Alesund for the near future, Logistics of the joint campaigns.
That initiative was a joint effort of the iAREA team, the Alfred Wegener Institute and the University of Florence in cooperation with the Institute of Oceanology PAS and the Center for Polar Studies. The workshop was a contribution to the Ny-Aalesund Atmosphere Flagship Programme.
- Between 21st and 23rd October IO PAN was a host for MARS Board of Directors - namely directors of european marine stations and research institutes that maintain marine laboratories. Among 34 participants from 121 european countries were also representatives from World Association of Marine Stations (WAMS) from Japan and Australia. The goal of the meeting was to discuss the effective strategy for cooperation among marine stations, with special consideration for basic research and long term data series. One of the days was organised as a visit to Hel Marine Station of the Gdańsk University.
- On Friday, October 9, we hosted a delegation of scientists from the Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IA CAS), together with the director of this Institute - prof. Wang Xiaomin. Guests had the opportunity to know about the activities of our Institute, in particular of Marine Acoustics Laboratory, as well as the present scope of activities of the Institute of Acoustics, Chinese Academy of Sciences. An important purpose of the visit was to sign a Memorandum of Understanding between the IA CAS and IO PAN.
- 5th October 2015 - Inauguration of the 2015/2016 Academic Year at IO PAN. During this celebration we had the opportunity to get to know 6 new students of Postgraduation Studies of IO PAN and 2 new students of Interdisciplinary Polar Study of CSP KNOW. Four presentations on ongoing PhD theses were introduced by the students of our Studies.
- 22nd - 25th September, 2015, Institue of Oceanology, Sopot. International Workshop on Organic Matter Spectroscopy 2015 (WOMS 2015) Dissolved Organic Matter Characterization in Polar Regions Using Spectroscopic Techniques Organized by Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences.
- On Tuesday, September 15, 2015, during the meeting of the Marine Chemistry Section of the Polish SCOR (Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research) and the seminar of the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department of IO PAN, Dr. Bernd Schneider from the Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research in Warnemuende gave a lecture ‘The Baltic Sea biogeochemistry - Observations through carbon dioxide glasses'. During the lecture, Dr. Schneider explained the issues related to the measurement of CO2 in the context of the processes in the atmosphere and the sea, biomass production, mineralization of organic matter and upwelling.
Dr. Bernd Schneider is a recognized expert in the chemistry of the sea. Since 1990 he is interested in the biogeochemistry of the Baltic Sea, which is the main area of his research. He is the author of numerous publications on the carbon system and biogeochemistry of the Baltic Sea.
- On Thursday, September 10, 2015, during the seminar of the Genetics and Marine Biotechnology Department of IO PAN, prof. Carlos Bezuidenhout gave a lecture ‘Antimicrobials and antibiotic resistance in water sources of the North-West Province, South Africa’.
Professor Carlos Bezuidenhout is an biotechnologist in the Microbiology, Unit of Environmental Science and Management, the North-West University (NWU) in Potchefstroom, South Africa.
- On Friday, September 4, 2015, the Institute was visited by Prof. Hans von Storch - Director of the Institute for Coastal Research, Helmholtz Center Geesthacht. During the visit, Prof. von Storch gave a lecture on "Not concluded process of the BACC - challenges and the perspectives in the future" (BACC - BALTEX Assessment of Climate Change for the Baltic Sea Basin). An important purpose of the visit was to sign an agreement on scientific collaboration between the two institutions.
Prof. Dr. Hans von Storch is an outstanding specialist in the field of modeling of meteorological and hydrological conditions, in particular the regionalization of global analysis and scenario modeling theory, analysis of storms in the area of north-east Atlantic and storm surges in the coastal zone, reconstruction of paleoclimate and the social perception of climate and climate change. He is the author of numerous monographs and publications in prestigious scientific journals (Nature, Science). It is also a foreign member of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
- 12th August s/y OCEANIA - IV stage of the AREX 2015 is completed. The 4th stage of the AREX 2015 in the Norwegian fiords region has been finished. The research was carried out among others by the young PhD students of Interdisciplinary Polar Studies (Centre for Polar Studies-KNOW) and within some Polish-Norwegian projects including project GLAERE, - read more prof. Jan M. Węsławski, the leader of that cruise part and the project (in Polish only) Lodowce dla przetrwania fauny arktycznej Today exchange of research team on board and the 5th stage of the cruise ahead from Longyearbyen back to Gdańsk under the management of prof. Marek Zajączkowski.
Vessel's ETA Gdansk 27th August agw wp
- 30th June 2015. The Institute will once again take part in the competition promoting quality in Poland named "JAKOŚĆ ROKU" (Quality of the Year). This time we were nominated for the title of DIAMOND QUALITY OF THE YEAR 2015. The first step of the qualifications was to advertise the IO PAN on www.jakoscroku.pl/.
- 8th June AREX 2015 - 29th Polar Expedition. S/y Oceania left Poland for her 29th expedition to the Arctic. The programme of AREX 2015 is divided into 5 stages with over 50 scientists on board vary by time schedule. She is expected back in Poland on 27th August. See photos
- 30th March 2015, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. XII Annual Conference of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot – '30 years of Oceania in the research of the Baltic Sea and in the Arctic'. Conference opening is planned at 9.30 am. Conference Programme (in Polish) Conference Papers (in Polish)
- 15th March 2015 Gdynia -17th National Meetings of Travellers, Sailors and Alpinists. Restrospektywa- Polar explorers Each year, during such meetings in March there are a hudge amount of visitors who want to listen to the fascinating tales of globetrotters.
This year, J.M.Węsławski and W.Moskal (IO PAN, The Marine Ecology Department) presented the history of polar expeditions and the participation of Polish researchers in the explorations of the region of Arctic and Antarctica.
See presentations: Krótka historia eksploracji polarnej i udział w niej nauki polskiej (J. M. Węsławski), Wycieczki polarne (W. Moskal) and some photos.
- January 2015. Good news for the Baltic Sea! Significant increase of the deep water salinity has been recently observed by our oceanographers from the Physical Oceanography Department IO PAN. It is because of the very rare but important phenomenon, namely the intense water inflow from the North Sea. The last big inflows to the Baltic Sea were noted in 1993 and 2003. This present observed saltwater intrusion seemed to be even greater than the previous ones.
For more information - see news on the Observational Oceanography Laboratory webpage.
30th December 2014. It is with deep regret and sadness that we learn of the passing of our professor Bogdan Woźniak (1946-2014).
He was the expert in the field of marine physics, focusing on water optical properties, for many years engaged in the large national projects on satellite monitoring of the Baltic Sea environment. We lost a great person. He will be missed but not forgotten.
- 7th November 2014 – The University of Silesia Inauguration of the first academic year of the Interdisciplinary Polar Study. 20 new students began their study on polar research. 10 of them have declared to be awarded by doctoral degree within Oceanology as the discipline with supervisors of the IO PAN scientists.
- 6th November 2014, Institute of Oceanology. Prof. Dr. Ole Jørgen Lønne from UNIS (The University Centre in Svalbard) visited our Institute to present the lecture on “Selected recent trends in Arctic marine biological research as seen from Svalbard (UNIS)“. Upon invitation from IO PAN and CSP professor Lønne accepted to be the Member of the International Scientific Board of the Centre for Polar Studies Center (CSP –KNOW)
hand Photo gallery.
- 24th October 2014, Institute of Oceanology. The XI Conference of Marine Chemistry Section of the Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research was held in the Institute of Oceanology.
Over 80 researchers from 10 marine research institutes took part in the Conference. The young scientists awarded prizes for the best presentation - Adam Żak and for the best poster - Anna Pouch. Moreover, presentations and posters of Marta Szubska, Marta Kobusińska, Katarzyna Koziorowska and Martina Bolińska were distinguished.
hand Photo gallery.
- 3th-14th October 2014 - 12th Polish-German Seminar "The Baltic Sea at the middle of the 21st century"
Seminar was organized together with the Institute of Hydroengineering and Helmholtz - Zentrum Gesthacht. Agenda provided the thematic sessions:
1) Large scale phenomena and perspectives,
2) Physical and chemical processes,
3) Ecological factors and ecosystem modelling,
4) Coastal zones, rivers and remote sensing. Over 40 participants from Polish and German entities had opportunity to exchange experiences and get to know results from the Baltic Sea research in order to investigate the existing gaps in knowledge on marine environment and perespectives to solve them.
hand Conference program and photo gallery. List of presentations (PDF files) are here.
3th October 2014 - Inauguration of the 2014/2015 academic year of the PhStudy at IO PAN
During this celebration we had the opportunity to get to know 5 new students as well as listen to some selected presentations on ongoing PhD theses of our Study.
We wish all the PhD students success.
September 15th-19th - Warnemuende, Germany, International Science Camp 2014 for school students.
This year IOW-Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research , together with the Baltic Sea Project (BSP) have invited school students and their teachers to joint the Science Camp 2014 in Warnemunede. This is a continuation of an initiative started in 2010 under the project "WebLab" South Baltic Programme. Over 50 participants from Denmark, Estonia and Germany were camping outside, learning through joint cooperation and hands-on activities on and off the research ships. The international character of the camp was not only because of the participants but also due to contribution from scientists from various German, Danish and Polish institutions. Poland was represented by Szczecin University and by our two Institute's PhD students: Kamila Sfugier and Łukasz Hoppe.
Pictures and more info about the camp:
The meeting of Arctic Contaminants Action Program (ACAP) Working Group was held in the Institute of Oceanology PAN from 9th September to 11th September 2014. The ACAP is working group of Arctic Council (AC) composed of representatives of 8 arctic countries: USA, Canada, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Russian Federation, Denmark and Iceland and aboriginal people organizations eg. Aleut International Association. The ACAP acts as a strengthening and supporting mechanism to encourage arctic countries to reduce emissions and other releases of pollutants. Representatives of Poland may attend ACAP meetings as observers. It was a great honour to host ACAP meeting since usually AC meeting are organized in member not observer states.
See photo gallery hand www.iopan.gda.pl/Albumy/ACAP/
- 7th June 2014
- "Drop the Line" - get ready to 28th cruise to Arctic "AREX 2014" !
S/y OCEANIA left Gdansk for her next, the 28th expedition to the Arctic. Vessel’s sailing schedule provides for over 40 research tasks in VII stages from the Baltic Sea to the Arctic Ocean including Spitsbergen fjords, if agw wp. She is expected back in Gdańsk on 21st August 2014.
- 27th May, 2014
PhD Polar Studies - Recruitment 2014/2015. Information concerning the recruitment.
May 24-25, 2014, Sopot and Gdynia.
We invite on XII Bałtycki Festiwal Nauki. Our Institute will be the organizer of the Sopot Day of Science (24 May) as well as we will take part in the Science Picnic in Gdynia (25 May).
- 14th May 2014, Warsaw.
THE CENTRE FOR POLAR STUDIES won the competition and obtained the status KNOW in the field of Earth Sciences for 2014-2018 !!!
The Centre was created by the three leadingPolish institutions in the Arctic research: University of Silesia (The Leader of the Centre ), Institute of Geophysics and Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences. It is an important step towards consolidation of polar research and postgraduate studies in the field of polar science in Poland. Scientists from the institutions are well known within the Arctic research scientific communities thus guarantee high standards of polar studies in Poland with wide international cooperation. The official ceremony organized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Educatiuon was held in Warsaw on 14th May 2014.
- 7th -8th April 2014 IO PAN - COST - ESSEM event.
The Predictive Power of Marine Science in a Changing Climate
thumbnail The event gathered about 60 researchers who specialise in the studies of marine environment in the relation to the changing climate. It focused on the current capabilities of the predictive tools and programmes aimed at describing the future scenarios of the marine environment changes and at identyfying the gaps in our present knowledge of the marine science in terms of atmosphere-ocean interaction, sea water dynamics, role of marine chemistry in diagnosis of the present stay and prediction of future perespective and interaction of ocean dynamics and ecology. Participants discussed a multidisciplinary approach to the problem of climate change impact on marine environment in Europe, in order to facilitate transdisciplinary cooperation to help understand the ongoing changes in the marine environment, as well as predict their future course. More on marinescience.
hand Event programme
- 7th February 2014, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot.
XI Annual Conference of the Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot - Theoretical and practical aspects of research in the marine environment.
- November 12-13, 2013, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. 2nd Meeting of the Interim Science Steering Group (ISSG) and Baltic Earth workshop on "Challenges for biogeochemistry research in the Baltic Sea Region".
- 7th October 2013, Institute of Oceanology. The Opening of the New Academic Year 2013-2014 was held in the IO PAN. The event marked the official start of the new year at the Postgraduation Study. The inaugural lecture on "Arctic - the observation and modelling the atmosphere" was given by prof. Jan Kamiński from York University of Toronto. During the celebration 9 new PhD students were pledging to broaden their knowledge on the sea. Students of the 3rd class have given the short presentations on their so far scientic achivements.
- 18th September. Gdańsk Science and Technology Park (EduPark). South Baltic-Cross-border Edutainment Event 2013 provided the opportunity to display some of the projects outputs to schools students aged 16-19 from Denmark,Lithuania and Poland. Project WebLab represented by scientists from IO-Warnemuende and the Institute of Oceanology in Sopot (IO PAN) jointly presented workshops where students got introduced into the eLearning modules and hands-on offers addresing relevant topics of the Baltic Sea research.
- 13th of September 2013, Sopot, Institute of Oceanology. The 60th Anniversary celebration of the Institute of Oceanology PAN in Sopot.
- 5th of July 2013, the 60th anniversary of the Institute of Oceanology. Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot – poster exhibition
At the beginning of July along the fence of the Institute of Oceanology (Powstańców Warszawy 55) an exhibition ‘60 years of the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences in the sea sciences’ was launched. The exhibition is presented to the public until 13th September 2013.
- 24th of May 2013, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot.
The Kick-off Meeting of the Polish-Norwegian project PAVE (Atlantic Water Pathways to the Arctic: Variability and Effects on Climate and Ecosystems) will be held on 24th of May 2013 in the Institute of Oceanology PAS in Sopot (IOPAS). PAVE is funded by the Polish-Norwegian Research Programme for 3 years and the project consortium consists of IOPAS (leading the project), Institute of Marine Research (IMR) and Nansen Environmental and Remote Sensing Center (NERSC), last two from Bergen.
- 13th to 19th April 2013 - Arctic Science Summit Week in Kraków.
IO PAN był współorganizatorem konferencji Institute of Oceanology was a co-organiser of this conference (prof. Waldemar Walczowski and prof. Maria Włodarska-Kowalczuk were members of the Organizing Committee). A group led by prof. Tymon Zieliński prepared an information booth, where the IOPAN research activities in the Arctic were promoted. IO PAN representatives presented 10 oral presentations and 17 posters. A poster ‘Organic matter sources and sinks in high Arctic fjord’ ( dr Monika Kędra, dr Karol Kuliński, dr Joanna Legeżyńska and Marta Głuchowska) was rewarded as one of the three outstanding posters at the conference (Outstanding Poster Award) by APECS (Association of Polar Early Career Scientists).
- 12th March, 2013, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. Visiting IO PAN prof dr Hans Storch, the Director of the Institute for Coastal Research , Helmholtz Centrum Geesthacht gave the lecture on the "Describing, assessing and envisaging changing coastal hazards".
- January 22-23, 2013 Institute of Oceanology, Sopot, X Annual Scientific Conference of the Institute.
- December 4, Warszawa. Representatives of the Institute: Professor Janusz Pempkowiak and Dr. Karol Kuliński received.
- Professor Jan Piechura passed away on 12 November 2012.
Jan Piechura is author of more than 60 scientific publications, devoted to hydrology and
atmosphere-sea interactions. He was a co-founder of several international initiatives
including EuroGOOS, BOOS and ArtcticROOs. He has also participated in numerous European
and world-wide scientific projects like DAMOCLES, DIAMIX, AREX, AWAKE and ASOF. From
2000 to 2009, he served as a member of the BALTEX Science Steering Group. He had a great
impact on the oceanographic research in BALTEX.
Professor Jan Piechura (1936-2012) was active as a scientist and organizer of the European marine
research area until a severe illness interrupted his service to national and European science
recently. We pay the last tribute to the Professor with grief and sadness.
- November 8, 2012. EurOcean Steering Committee conducted an election of a new board EurOcean (Executive Committee) of the President and two Vice-Presidents. One of the vice-presidents for the next two-year term he was elected a representative of the Institute, Dr. Sławomir Sagan.
- 23rd - 26th October, 2012. Workshop at IO PAN organized by young scientists organizations: ART (Arctic in Rapid Transition) and APECS: Joint ART-APECS Science Workshop "Overcoming challenges of observation to model integration in marine ecosystem response to sea ice transitions".
- 25-26 October 2012, Piastowski Castle, Racibórz, Poland. During, co-organized by GeoPlanet PAN, Dr. Violetta Drozdowska gave a lecture on the "Photoluminescence at sea water"
- 18th October 2012, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. X Conference on “CHEMISTRY, GEOCHEMISTRY AND MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION” organized by Marine Chemistry Section of Polish Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research and Institute of Oceanology PAN.
- 4th October 2012, at 9 am, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. Lecture on the "New aspects of the IOW Baltic Sea Research Programme" will give a guest professor Dr. Ulrich Bathmann, Director of the Leibniz Institute for Baltic Sea Research, Warnemünde.
- 18th September 2012, Polish Accademy of Sciences, Warszawa. The deliberations of the Presidium on September 18, preceded by the awarding state decorations and medals. Gold Medals for Long Service received Jerzy Dąbrowski and Dr. Eng. Jacek Wyrwiński from the Institute of Oceanology.
- 27-28th August 2012, Institute of Oceanology, Sopot. "Zarządzanie Danymi w Badaniach Naukowych - Data Management in Research" conference.
- 17-26th August 2012. The international WebLab Science Camp for school students started on 17 August 2012 in Smiltyne, Lithuania. For ten days, thirty students and teachers from Denmark, Poland, Germany, Sweden, and Lithuania are slipping into the role of scientists and research the hydrology, ecology, and biota of both the Baltic Sea and the Curonian Lagoon. The participants will share their new experiences in daily blogs at the project’s website.
- August 17, 2012. Two out of ten medals won by the Polish team during the Olympic Games in London this year belong to our sailors. Achieving such a success requires a complex training regime and consists of many steps that ultimately lead to a place in the Olympic podium. One of the elements of preparation was to learn about weather forecasts and water circulation scenarios for the Olympic basin. To serve a purpose, scientists from the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences compiled all the necessary information and developed specialized models that supported Polish accomplishments in London.
- June 12 - August 23, 2012 - The 26th Arctic Expedition of s/y Oceania to Spitsbergen ( AREX 2012).
- 20th August 2012 -
Ocenia is quicker than planned and is expected already today in Gdańsk at 3pm!
- 12th August -
Oceania left Spitsbergen for Gdańsk where is expected on 23rd August.
- 24th July -
The vessel in Longyearben. The "ocean part" is completed.
Now waiting for some exchange of the scientists. The "fiord part" is to be started on 26th July.
9th July -
Oceania took the fuel and the research is carried out under stage no III "Hornsund-Longyearbyen"
the Ocean Part of the expedition is planned to be completed on 25th July when there will be the exchange of some scientists.
28th June - Now the ship is 1 NM from Bear Island – the island described as "island of fogs and gales" by Centkiewicz (Polish engineer, explorer and author of numerous books on polar areas) while our Oceania is informing: the wind 1B, temp 4 degree, no rain.
The research is continued, as planned on transect V and further K.
19th June - further scientists are arriving by plane to joint the expedition.
ETS Tromsoe 20.06 ETA Hornsund 05.07. More information (in Polish):
cele rejsu, rejon badań, harmonogram rejsu
18th - the first stage has been completed. Ship arrived at Tromsoe.
12th June - "Oceania" left Gdańsk for her cruise to Spitsbergen.
- May 23-27, 2012, Sopot and Gdynia, We invite on X Bałtycki Festiwal Nauki. Our Institute took part in the Sopot Day of Science (26 May) and the 13th Science Picnic in Gdynia (27 May).
- March 26, 2012 IO PAN Sopot, IX Annual Scientific Conference of IO PAN - this year topics are to be focused on the European Arctic research conducted by IO PAN. Information (in Polish).
Conference presentations will also be directly transmitted on the Internet television via Task: tv.task.gda.pl
- March 8, 2012, The International Ocean Carbon Coordination Project
(IOCCP) office will be moving from IOC Headquarters in Paris to the Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of
Sciences in Sopot, Poland, beginning on 1 April. See SCOR Newsletter page 2.
- February 22, 2012, IO PAN Sopot & CBK (Space Research Center) Warsaw at 2 pm, CLIMATE FORUM at the GeoPLanet Centre - due to the accessible communication technology the meeting will be held at both places simultaneously.
- November 28-30, 2011 - Scientific workshop - “Ocean influence on climate and cryosphere in the Arctic”
- October 4-6, 2011 - 6th EuroGOOS Conference
(the European part of the Global Ocean Observing System)
- September 5, 2011 - Polish Science Journalists's Association awarded Professor
Jan Marcin Węsławski, the title of Scientist-Friendly Media 2011.
- June 11, 2011 - AREX 2011 is started! The research vessel s/y OCEANIA of the Institute of Oceanology left Gdansk for her next cruise to Spitsbergen. Follow the scientific crew as the respective head of research reports their experiences in the blog.
- May 25-29, 2011 - We invite on IX Baltic Festival of Science. Our Institute took part in the Sopot Day of Science (27 May) and the 12th Science Picnic in Gdynia (29 May)
- 28th-30th March, 2011, IO PAN Sopot -
The meeting and workshop under the South Baltic project "WebLab" virtualy laboratory for school students. About 20 participants from Denmark, Germany, Lithuania, Poland and Sweden - The Coordinator IOW Warnemünde.
During the meeting the preliminary version of the first e-learning module on "the History of the Baltic Sea" will be presented as well as further ideas on "Coastal dynamics", "Water exchange" and "Ecosystem of the Lagoons".
- February 22, 2011 -
The first session of the IO PAN Scientific Council as the new team for terms 2011-2014.
- February 15, 2011 -
VIII Yearly Scientific Conference of IO PAN. Information (in Polish)
- December 10, 2010, 10:00 at IO PAN's conference room, 25 anniversary of s/y Oceania. Beginning of solemnity.
- October 19-20, 2010, at IOPAN's conference room, Workshop on Data and Information Management (agenda of the workshop)
- October 18, 2010, Warszawa, Research team led by prof. Jan Marcin Węsławski has rewarded "Ministry of the Environment Prize" for "Atlas of Polish Marine Area Bottom Habitats" - available at the RESEARCH page.
- September 8, 2010, 12:00 at IO PAN's conference room, The lecture on "Climate Change and the Baltic Basin-Late Quaternary history and future projection" to be presented by prof. Jan Harff from Leibniz Institute, Rostock & Szczecin University (See abstract and CV)
- June 14-18, 2010, Międzyzdroje, Island of Wolin , Poland, IO PAN is the co-organizer for the 6th Study Conference on BALTEX,(The Baltic Sea Experiment - a GEWEX and WCRP Project).
Registration deadline 10.04.2010, abstract 15.02.2010.
More info: http://www.baltex-research.eu/wolin2010/
- June 8-12, 2010, Our vessel "Oceania" took part in the conference in Oslo (International Polar Year Oslo Science Conference).
- May 27-30, 2010. We invite on VIII Baltic Festival of Science. Our Institute took part in the Sopot Day of Science - GEOPLANET (28 May) and the 11th Science Picnic in Gdynia (30 May).
- April 28-29, 2010. COST-735 meeting will be held in our Institute. Workshop title: "Particle deposition in marine environment: how far have we progressed since Slinn ∧ Slinn?". Our co-sponsor is Pomorska Specjalna Strefa Ekonomiczna.
- February 16, 2010. VII Yearly Scientific Conference of IO PAN. Information (in Polish)
- January 24-29, 2010. The annual Arctic Frontiers Conference - Living in the High North - was held in Tromsø (Norway) and was composed of a policy section and a scientific section. 22 scientists from our Institute participated AF Conference and gave 6 oral and 13 poster presentations. Additionally, our scientists were co-authors of 3 lectures presented by investigators from others institutions and Prof. Jan Marcin Węsławski presented lecture during the policy section. More information are given at: http://www.arctic-frontiers.com/
- January 20, 2010. Our friend doc. dr hab. Borys Wróbel received at the hands of Prime Minister Donald Tusk, Prime Minister's Prize for the science dissertation. The award was given in 2009.
- January 19, 2010. Polish TV made a film: "OCEANIA - Sea Laboratory". It will be present here in a short time. The film was additionally financial supplied by Wojewódzki Fundusz Ochrony Środowiska i Gospodarki Wodnej w Gdańsku.
- December 16, 2009. Polish Academy of Sciences has rewarded "Maurycy Pius Rudzki Sentific Award" for dr hab. Maria Włodarska-Kowalczuk..
- November 5-6, 2009. GEOPLANET (Center of Earth and Planet Studies) Conference.
- October 13-14, 2009. ESF Marine Board Autumn 2009 Plenary Meeting.
- October 06-08, 2009. EuroGOOS Annual Meeting.
- June 21-26, 2009. The 2009 Olympic Bronze Medal in Underwater Acoustics Measurements for our PhD student Aleksandra Kruss for oral presentation and paper: "Estimation of macrophytes using single and multibeam echo sounders and sidescan sonar in Arctic fjords (Hornsund and Kongsfjord, West Svalbard)".
May 28-31, 2009.
We invite on VII Baltic Festival of Science.
Our Institute took part in the Sopot Day of Science (29 May) and the 10th Science Picnic in Gdynia(31 May)
May 29-30, 2009, Łeba, Poland,
The Institute of Oceanology together with the Inland Fisheries Institute and the University of Oslo organizes a workshop on hydroacoustics as a tool for ecosystem quality assessment, is funded by the Polish Norwegian Research Fund. Details at the project website AQUA_PNRF.
April 27-29 2009
International workshop "Marine Impact on Aerosol Physical Properties" will be held in IO PAN. The meeting is organized by Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory in the Institute. The workshop is organized in cooperation with TSI.
March 30, 2009
Institute Oceanology PAS in Sopot together with other three institutes of Polish Academy of Scienes from Warsaw : Institute of Geophysics, Institute of Geological Sciences and Space Research Centre signed the contract to form the Center of Earth and Planet Studies (GeoPlanet). More information on Science and Scholarship in Poland web page.
February 18-19, 2009 ALKEKONGE Kick-Off Meeting
January 30, 2009 VI Yearly Scientific Conference of IO PAN
(chosen presentations in Polish)
January 22, 2009 Professor Czesław Druet awarded Doctor Honoris Causa of Uniwersity of Gdańsk
December 17, 2008 Karol Kuliński MSc., employee of IO PAN, become this year's laureate of competition "National Leaders of Innovation - 2008" in category "Innovative project - representative environment scientific". (SW)
December 10, 2008 Institute of Oceanology become this year's laureate of competition "Popularyzator Nauki 2008" (Science Popularyzator 2008) organized by Ministry of Science and Higher Education. (SW)
November 25-28, 2008 DAMOCLES meetings For more information seek DAMOCLES meetings web page (MW)
October 2, 2008, (from 10.00 till 16.00) Scientific Session Osiągnięcia i perspektywy optyki morza,
sesja dedykowana prof. Jerzemu Derze z okazji 50-lecia Jego pracy Naukowej (SW)
October 15-18, 2008 INFOBAZY 2008 - Polish scientific conference on systems, applications and services (MW)
May 30, 2008
BIOBLITZ in Sopot, Poland - First Marine versus Terrestrial competition in identifying organisms (SW)
May 30, 2008 Sopot Day of Science (MW)
May 29 - June 01, 2008 VI Baltic Festival of Science
April 17, 2008 - Laurent d'Ozouville, Director of EurOcean: "Information and Dissemination Services Developed by EurOcean for Marine Science and Technology in Europe"
04.02.2007 The Institute organizes the 5th Yearly Scientific Conference of IOPAS.
20.06.2005 5th Baltic Sea Science Congress "The Baltic Sea - a changing ecosystem"
22.05.2005 III Festival of Science
First call of 5th Baltic Sea Science Congress "The Baltic Sea - a changing ecosystem" to be held on June 20-24, 2005 in Sopot, Poland has been announced.
"II Baltic Festival of Science", an event organized for popularization of science, Tricity, May 29-30, 2004.
Agenda of IO PAS - AWI Seminar on Lidar Investigations in the Arctic, Sopot, October 1, 2003 is available.
Second Workshop "DEVELOPMENT OF SATELLITE METHOD OF THE BALTIC ECOSYSTEM MONITORING",
Sopot - Mogilany 22-26 September 2003 (supported by Development of satellite method of the Baltic ecosystem monitoring project)
Announcement in English and Polish and a related CeSSS supported meeting
Fourth Workshop "LUMINESCENCE & PHOTOSYNTHESIS
OF MARINE PHYTOPLANKTON"
Sopot - Mogilany, 22-26 September 2003
Announcement in English.
On June 10, 2003, Institute of Oceanology PAS plans a special session of its Scientific Council with special guests invited, including the Minister of Science, President of the Polish Academy of Sciences and representatives of state, regional and city goverment, to commemorate 50 years of the Institute.
"I Baltic Festival of Science", an event organized for popularization of science, Tricity, May 31, June 1, 2003.
"Forecasted climate induced changes for Sopot", a conference co-organized by
Institute of Oceanology PAS, University of Gdańsk,
Sopot dla Środowiska organization and Centre of Excellence CeSSS,
Sopot, April 2, 2003.
for the joint workshop of Center of Excellence for Shelf Seas Science -
Consortium of Polish Marine Research Institutes "Baltic Marine Biodiversity Research Sites:
Bay of Puck, Mecklenburg Bight, Kuronian Lagoon, Aland Archipelago and other reference areas",
Sopot, April 10-12 2003.
Third Workshop LUMINESCENCE AND PHOTOSYNTHESIS OF MARINE PHYTOPLANKTON
Sopot - Suleczyno, 8-12 October, 2001
ECSA-34 CONFERENCE IN POLAND
Estuaries and Other Brackish Areas -
Pollution Barriers or Sources to the Sea?