- Born: July 14, 1959
- Nationality: Polish
- Married, 1 child
- Influence of ocean circulation and air-sea interaction o world climate
- Mass, energy, momentum, particle & gas fluxes across the sea surface
- Concentration, size distribution and transport of aerosols over coastal seas
- Air-sea interaction & climate (aerosol, radiative budget etc.)
- Optical Monte Carlo modeling of light fields in water and of optical instrument
- Profesura (full professor title given by the President of Poland), Warszawa, 2015
- Habilitacja (roughly equivalent to British Doctor of Science), Institute of Oceanology,
Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, 2005
- Ph.D., Earth Science (Atmospherics Physics), Institute of Geophysics, Polish Academy of
Sciences, Warsaw, 1992
- M.Sc., Experimental Physics, University of Gdańsk, Poland, 1983
- Since October 2015 - Full Professor (tenured), Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences (IO PAN), Sopot, Poland.
- 2006-2015 – Associated Professor, IO PAN.
- 1992-2006. Senior Researcher, IO PAN.
- 1983-1992. Assistant Researcher, IO PAN.
- Since 2007 to 2013 Head of Physical Oceanography Department of IO PAN
- Since 2002 to 2010 head of Air-Sea Interaction Laboratory, IO PAN
- In 2001 on sabbatical at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD
- 1993 – 2000 Head of Lidar Laboratory, IO PAN
- May 1999 – January 2001 Director’s Assistant for International Collaboration, IO PAN
- National correspondent for Poland in The International Association for the Physical
Sciences of the Oceans (IAPSO), 2008-
- Member of the Management Committee of COST-735 Action “Tools for Assessing
Global Air–Sea Fluxes of Climate and Air Pollution Relevant Gases”, 2006-2011.
- Member of the Management Committee of COST ES0901 (“Pergamon”) Action
“Permafrost and gas hydrate related methane release in the Arctic and impact on climate
change: European cooperation for long-term monitoring”, 2009-2013.
- Member of the National Committee for Cooperation with International Union of
Geophysics and Geodesy (IUGG), Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 2009-
- Member of Committee for of Geophysics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, 2011-
- Member of Marine Research Committee, Polish Academy of Sciences (Polish SCOR),
- Associate Editor of Oceanologia journal, 2012-2014
- Elected member of the body overseeing the process of professor nominations and
scientific degrees in Poland (Centralna Komisja d/s Stopni i Tytułów) for the term 2017-2020
- DAAD scholarship, 1991-92, GKSS Research Center, Geesthacht, Germany.
- ONR Europe grant for a 1-month visit at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD, San Diego, California, February 1998.
- Visiting Researcher, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD, October 1998 - January 1999 (supported by grants from Scripps Institution of Oceanography and Oregon State University) and January-March 2000 (supported by grants from Scripps Institution of Oceanography).
- February-December 2001 sabbatical at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD, funded from ONR HyCODE project, with additional 3 month visit (September-December 2002) to finish the project.
- Two months (April-June 2003) at RSMAS, University of Miami modeling the response of turbulent in-water layers to a lidar remote sensing.
|MAJOR SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES
- Aerospace and Remote Sensing, SPIE, April 14-16 1993, Orlando, Florida.
- High Latitude Optics, SPIE, June 28 - July 2 1993, Tromso, Norway.
- European Aerosol Conference, October 4-10 1993, Duisburg, Germany.
- Optical Engineering in Aerospace Sensing, SPIE, April 4-8 1994, Orlando, Florida.
- Ocean Optics XII, SPIE, June 13-15 1994, Bergen, Norway.
- Fourth International Conference on Remote Sensing for Marine and Coastal Environments, ERIM, March 17-19 1997, Orlando, Florida.
- 1998 Ocean Science Meeting, AGU, February 9-13 1998, San Diego, California.
- Ocean Optics XIV, November 10-13 1998, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
- Ocean Optics XV, October 16-20 2000, Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
- Ocean Optics XVI, November 18-22 2002, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Towards Universal Sea Spray Production Function, May 11-13 2004, Skipton, UK.
- Baltic Sea Science Conference (BSSC 2007), March 19-23, 2007, Rostock, Germany.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, April 13-18 2008, Vienna, Austria.
- Baltic Sea Science Conference (BSSC 2009), August 17-21, 2009, Tallinn, Estonia.
- SOLAS Open Science Conference, November 16 – 19, 2009, Barcelona, Spain.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, May 2-7, 2010, Vienna, Austria.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, April 3-8, 2011, Vienna, Austria.
- IUGG Congress, Earth on the Edge: Science for a Sustainable Planet, 18 June - 7 July 2011, Melbourne, Australia.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, April 22-27, 2012, Vienna, Austria.
- Ocean Optics XXI, October 8-12, 2012, Glasgow, Scotland.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, April 7-12, 2013, Vienna, Austria.
- Knowledge for the Future, Joint Assembly IAHS-IAPSO-IASPEI, July 22-26 2013, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, April 27- May 2, 2014, Vienna, Austria.
- 21st Century Challenges in Regional Climate Modelling, 16 - 19 June 2014, Lund, Sweden.
- Earth Observation for Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions Science 2014, Co-organised by ESA, SOLAS and EGU, 28-31 October 2014, Frascati, Italy.
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, 12-17 April, 2015, Vienna, Austria.
- IUGG General Assembly 2015, Earth and Environmental Sciences for Future Generations,, 22 June – 2 July 2015, Prague (Czech Republic).
- SOLAS Open Science Conference, 7-11 September 2015, Kiel (Germany).
- European Geosciences Union, General Assembly, 17-22 April, 2016, Vienna, Austria.
- Air-sea gas flux; Progress and Future Prospects Science Workshop, 6-9 September 2016, Brest (France).
|MAJOR OCEANOGRAPHIC CRUISES AND EXPERIMENTS
- R.V. Oceania (Polish ship), The Arctic Seas (Svalbard , Greenland Sea); light attenuation;
three cruises in 1987, 1988 and 1989, 7-8 weeks each.
- R.V. Arnold Veimar (Estonian/Soviet ship), Baltic and North Sea; lidar research of
chlorophyll distribution; 4 weeks, 1989.
- BAEX international experiment (EU funded); Baltic shore of Poland; lidar research of
aerosol concentration; two experiments in 1993, 1994, 2 weeks each.
- EOPACE aerosol experiment; Duck, North Carolina; lidar research of aerosol
concentration; 3 weeks, March 1999.
- More than 25 short (7-10 days) cruises within the Polish Economic Exclusion Zone in the
southern Baltic, R.V. Oceania, 1986-2000; apparent and inherent optical properties of the
sea, lidar research of chlorophyll concentration and surface oil pollution.
|RECENT PEER-REVIEWED PAPERS
- James R.H., Bousquet P., Bussman I., Haeckel M., Kipfer R., Leifer I., Niemann H.,
Ostrovsky I., Piskozub J., Rehder G., Treude T., Vielstädte L., Greinert J., 2016, Effects of
climate change on methane emissions from seafloor sediments in the Arctic Ocean: A
review, Limnology and Oceanography, 61(S1), S283-S299, doi:10.1002/lno.10307.
- Wróbel I, Piskozub J., 2016, Effect of gas-transfer velocity parameterization choice on airsea
CO2 fluxes in the North Atlantic Ocean and the European Arctic, Ocean Science, 12
(5), 1091-1103, doi:10.5194/os-12-1091-2016.
- Freda W., Piskozub J., Toczek H., 2015, Polarization imaging over sea surface - a method
for measurements of Stokes components angular distribution, Journal of the European
Optical Society – Rapid Publications, 10, Article 15060.
- Piskozub J., Freda. W, 2013, “Signal of single scattering albedo in water leaving
polarization“, Journal of the European Optical Society – Rapid Publications, 8, Article
- McKee D., Piskozub J., Rottgers, R., Reynolds, R.A., 2013, “Evaluation and Improvement
of an Iterative Scattering Correction Scheme for in situ Absorption and Attenuation
Measurements“, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, 30, 7, 1527-1541.
- Dzierzbicka-Glowacka L., Piskozub J., Jakacki J., Musdak S., Zmijewska MI., 2012,
Spatiotemporal distribution of Copepod populations in the Gulf of Gdansk (southern
Baltic Sea), Journal Of Oceanography, 68, 887-904.
- Dzierzbicka-Glowacka L., Piskozub J., Jakacki J., Janecki M., Nowicki, A, 2012,
Influence of climate parameters on long-term variation of the distribution of
phytoplankton biomass and nutrient concentration in the Baltic Sea simulated by a 3D
model, Polish Journal of Ecology, 60, 651-666.
- Freda Wlodzimierz, Jacek Piskozub, 2012, “Revisiting the role of oceanic phase function
in remote sensing reflectance“, Oceanologia, 54 (1) 29-38 doi:10.5697/oc.54-1.029.
- Piskozub J., McKee D., 2011 “Effective scattering phase functions for the multiple
scattering regime”, Optics Express, 19, 4786-4794, doi:10.1364/OE.19.004786.
- Woods S., Piskozub J., Freda W., Jonasz M., Bogucki D., 2010 "Laboratory measurements
of light beam depolarization on turbulent convective flow", Applied Optics 49, 18, 3545-3551.
- J. Piskozub, D. Stramski, E. Terrill, W.K. Melville, 2009 "Small-scale effects of
underwater bubble clouds on ocean reflectance: 3-D modeling results", Optics Express 17, 11747-11752.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2009 "Polarized phase functions in oil-in-water emulsion",
Optica Applicata 39 (1): 129-133.
- D. McKee, J. Piskozub and I. Brown, 2008 "Scattering error corrections for in situ
absorption and attenuation measurements", Optics Express 16, 19480-19492.
- J. Piskozub, T. Neumann, and L Wozniak, 2008 "Ocean color remote sensing: choosing
the correct depth weighting function", Optics Express 16, 14683-14688.
- Petelski T., Piskozub J., 2007 "Reply to comment by Edgar L Andreas on `Vertical coarse
aerosol fluxes in the atmospheric surface layer over the North Polar Waters of the
Atlantic'", Journal of Geophysical Research, 112, C11011, doi:10.1029/2007JC004399.
- D. J. Bogucki, J. Piskozub, M. -E. Carr, and G. D. Spiers, 2007 "Monte Carlo simulation
of propagation of a short light beam through turbulent oceanic flow," Opt. Express 15,
- W. Freda and J. Piskozub, 2007 "Improved method of Fournier-Forand marine phase
function parameterization," Opt. Express 15, 12763-12768.
- Petelski T., Piskozub J., 2006 "Vertical coarse aerosol fluxes in the atmospheric surface
layer over the North Polar Waters of the Atlantic", Journal of Geophysical Research, 111,
- Zielinski T., Piskozub J., 2005 "Studies of Aerosols in The Marine Boundary Layer in the
Coastal Area During The EOPACE'99 Campaign", Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 116 (3),
pp. 533 - 541.
- Petelski T., Piskozub J., Paplinska-Swerpel B., 2005 "Sea spray emission from the surface
of the open Baltic Sea", Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, C10023,
- Piskozub J., Stramski D., Terrill E., Melville W.K., 2004 "Influence of forward and
multiple light scatter on the measurement of beam attenuation in highly scattering marine
environments", Applied Optics 43 (24) pp. 4723-4731.
- Piskozub J., 2004 "Effect of 3-D instrument casing shape on the self-shading of in-water
upwelling irradiance", Optics Express Optics Express 12, 3144-3148.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2004 "Phase functions of oil-in-water emulsions", Optica
Applicata 34 (1) pp. 93-99.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2004 "Modelling the bidirectional reflectance distribution
function (BRDF) of seawater polluted by an oil film", Optics Express 12, 1671-1676.
- Piskozub J., 2004 "Effect of ship shadow on in-water irradiance measurements"
Oceanologia 46(1), pp. 103-112.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., Krol T, 2003 "Modelling the reflectance of sea areas polluted
with oil emulsion" Fresenius Environmental Bulletin 12 (9), pp. 1109-1113.
- Stramski D., Piskozub J., 2003 "Estimation of scattering error in spectrophotometric
measurements of light absorption by aquatic particles from 3-D radiative transfer
simulations", Applied Optics-LP, Volume 42, Issue 18, pp. 3634-3646.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2003 "Modeling the remotely sensed optical contrast caused by
oil suspended in the sea water column", Optics Express 11, pp. 2-6
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2001 "Modelling of the optical contrast of an oil film on a sea
surface", Optics Express, 9, pp. 411-416
- Piskozub J., Flatau P.J., Zaneveld J.R.V, 2001 "Monte Carlo study of the scattering error
of a quartz reflective absorption tube", Journal of Oceanic and Atmospheric Technology,
Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 438-445.
- Otremba Z., Piskozub J., 2000 "The modification of light flux leaving a wind-roughened,
oil covered sea surface: example of computations for shallow seas", Oceanological
Studies, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 117-133.
- Piskozub J., Porazinski K., Sagan S., Walczowski W., Wichorowski M., Wyrwinski J.
2000 "Regional oceanographic database as a modern sea reaserch tool", TASK Quarterly 4
(1) pp. 127-136
- Piskozub J., Weeks A.R., Schwarz J.N., Robinson I.S., 2000 "Self-shading of upwelling
irradiance for an instrument with sensors on a sidearm", Applied Optics 39 (12) pp. 1872-1878
- Zielinski T., Zielinski A., Piskozub J., Drozdowska V., Irczuk M., 1999 "Aerosol optical
thickness over the coastal area of the southern Baltic Sea", Optica Applicata 29 (4) pp.
- Flatau P.J., Piskozub J., Zaneveld J.R, 1999 "Asymptotic light field in the presence of a
bubble-layer", Optics Express v.5, 5 p. 120-123.
- Piskozub J., Drozdowska V., Irczuk M, 1998 "A water Raman extinction lidar system for
detecting thin oil spills: preliminary results of fields tests", Oceanologia 40 (1), pp. 3-10.
- Application programming in FORTRAN, BASIC, Pascal and C/C++ languages. The work
includes 3-D Monte Carlo program for ray-tracing radiation in both the ocean and the
atmosphere. This involves running the code on several cluster supercomputers.
- Experience with DOS/Windows, Mac OS and Unix operating systems (including
administering SCO Unix, Solaris, SGI Unix and Linux hosts).
- Web site development experience since 1994. Practical knowledge of HTML, CSS and
|OTHER IMPORTANT EXPERIENCES
- Faculty leader of the NZS student union at the Mathematics-Physics-Chemistry
Department of Gdansk University (the first non-communist student association in Poland),
- Organizing the first free election for the Gdansk City Council (as the secretary of City
Election Commission of Gdansk), May 1990.
- Mother tongue: Polish.
- Other languages:
English (read, understand spoken, speak, write);
Russian (read, understand spoken, speak, write);
German (read, understand spoken, speak.